Solving 2nd Order PDE: u_{xx} - u_{tt} - au_{t} - bu = 0

In summary, the book gives an equation for solving for u in terms of x and t. If you multiply it by 2, you can get the final result.
Somefantastik
the book gives

[tex] u_{xx} - u_{tt} - au_{t} - bu = 0; 0<x<L, t>0 [/tex]

says if you multiply it by

[tex]2u_{t} [/tex]

you can get

[tex]\left( 2u_{t}u_{x}\right)_{x} - \left( u^{2}_{x} + u^{2}_{t} + bu^{2}\right)_{t} -2au^{2}_{t} = 0 [/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \left( 2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right) - \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left[ \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right) ^{2} + \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right) ^{2} + bu^{2} \right] - 2a\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right)^{2} =0; [/tex]

So far I have:

[tex] 2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} - a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} - b\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right) = 0; [/tex]

[tex] 2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \ \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} \ - \ 2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \ \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} \ - \ 2a\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right)^{2} - 2b\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right)^2 = 0; [/tex]

I can pull a d/dx out of the first term, to get [tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \ \frac{\partial u }{\partial x}\right) [/tex], and the [tex]- \ 2a\left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right)^{2} [/tex] is already there. How can I get the rest of it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
[tex] 2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} - a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} - b\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right) = 0; [/tex]

Hi Somefantastik! :smile:

I'm not swearing, but …

b u! :eek:

[tex]
2 \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \left( \frac{\partial^{2} u}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} - a\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} - bu\right) = 0;
[/tex]

so now I need to show somehow that

[tex]
- \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left[ \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial x} \right) ^{2} + \left( \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \right) ^{2} + bu^{2} \right] \ = \ -2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} \ - \ 2bu\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}
[/tex]

[tex]
-2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} \ - \ 2bu\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} \ = \ -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left(2\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\frac{\partial u}{\partial t} + 2bu^{2} \right) \ = \ -\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \left[2\left(\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}\right)^{2} + 2bu^{2} \right] [/tex]

I'm still missing the (du/dx)^2 term? And that 2 hanging out in there is wrong too.

You should use chain rule for composite differentials, you can't pull out that d/dx term like that in the first post.The best way is, write out all the terms of the end result. Simplify and try to collect to get the first expression.Its pretty straightforward.You know chain rule right?

[tex]
(AB)_{x}=A(B)_{x}+B(A)_{x}
[/tex]

Write out the squares explicitly, like (A*A),and use the chain rule.For example first term

[tex]
\left( 2u_{t}u_{x}\right)_{x}=2(u_{t}u_{xx}+u_{xt}u_{x})
[/tex]

Second term

[tex]
(u_{x}^2)_{t}=2(u_{xt}u_{x})
[/tex]

etc, etc
As you see, some of the terms will cancel out.you can do the rest.

DUH, of course. I should know better. Thank you.

Related to Solving 2nd Order PDE: u_{xx} - u_{tt} - au_{t} - bu = 0

1. What is a 2nd order PDE?

A 2nd order partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. In this case, the equation involves second order derivatives with respect to both space (x) and time (t).

2. What does u_{xx} - u_{tt} - au_{t} - bu = 0 represent?

This equation represents a wave equation with damping. The term u_{xx} represents the spatial acceleration, while u_{tt} represents the temporal acceleration. The terms au_{t} and bu represent the damping forces acting on the system.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order PDE?

To solve a 2nd order PDE, one must use various techniques such as separation of variables, the method of characteristics, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the form and complexity of the PDE.

4. What is the role of the constants a and b in the equation?

The constants a and b represent the damping coefficients in the equation. They determine the strength of the damping forces acting on the system and can affect the behavior of the solution.

5. Can this equation be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, this equation can be applied to real-world problems such as modeling the vibrations of a string or the propagation of sound waves in a medium with damping. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to model various physical phenomena.