Solving 2nd ODE for RLC circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Laplace transforms to solve a differential equation for Q(t) in a RLC circuit. The Laplace transform of the equation is taken and simplified, with the option of substituting numbers to perform inverse Laplace transforms. A table of selected Laplace transforms is provided for reference.
serverxeon
This is really more of a mathematical question than physics.

Given a RLC circuit, I will arrive at the following DE:

[itex]\ddot{Q}+\frac{R}{L}\dot{Q}+\frac{1}{LC}Q-\frac{\epsilon}{L}=0[/itex]

How do I solve for [itex]Q(t)[/itex]??

Physics news on Phys.org
A good way is the Laplace transform. Given our equation [itex]\ddot{q}(t) + \frac{R}{L}\dot{q}(t) + \frac{1}{LC}q(t) = \frac{\epsilon}{L}[/itex], we can take the Laplace transform of the equation (denoted by [itex]\ell[/itex]):

[itex]\ell \{ \ddot{q}(t) \} + \frac{R}{L} \ell \{ \dot{q}(t) \} + \frac{1}{LC} \ell \{ q(t) \} = \ell \{ \frac{\epsilon}{L} \}[/itex]

[itex][ s^2 Q(s) - sq(0) - \dot{q}(0) ] + \frac{R}{L} [ sQ(s) - q(0) ]+ \frac{1}{LC} Q(s) = \frac{\epsilon}{Ls}[/itex]

[itex][LCs^2 + RCs+ 1] Q(s) = \frac{C\epsilon}{s} + [LCs + RC]q(0) + LC\dot{q}(0)[/itex]

[itex]Q(s) = \frac{C\epsilon}{s[LCs^2 + RCs+ 1]} + \frac{[LCs + RC]q(0) + LC\dot{q}(0)}{[LCs^2 + RCs+ 1]}[/itex]

This is as far as I wanted to go without numbers :smile: If I had numbers, I would substitute them at this point and put things in terms of simpler Laplace transforms so I can do inverse Laplace transforms on each part. You can a table of selected ones here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_transform#Table_of_selected_Laplace_transforms

Related to Solving 2nd ODE for RLC circuit

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It is commonly used to model physical systems, such as an RLC circuit, and can be solved using various methods, including separation of variables, substitution, and integration.

2. How does an RLC circuit work?

An RLC circuit is an electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be used to regulate the flow of electric current. The resistor limits the current, the inductor stores energy in a magnetic field, and the capacitor stores energy in an electric field.

3. What is the significance of solving a 2nd order ODE for an RLC circuit?

Solving a 2nd order ODE for an RLC circuit allows us to understand the behavior and dynamics of the circuit. This can help in designing and optimizing the circuit for specific applications. It also allows us to analyze the response of the circuit to different inputs, such as voltage or current.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a 2nd order ODE for an RLC circuit?

The first step is to write the 2nd order ODE based on the circuit components and their relationships. Then, we can use various techniques, such as Laplace transforms, to solve for the current or voltage in the circuit. The final step is to interpret the solution and analyze the behavior of the circuit.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving 2nd order ODEs for RLC circuits?

There are many real-life applications of RLC circuits, such as in electronic filters, power supplies, and audio equipment. By solving 2nd order ODEs for these circuits, we can ensure their proper functioning and optimize their performance. They are also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and in the design of communication systems.