Solving 2D projectile motion problem for angle, given displacement and time.

In summary, to find the appropriate launch angle for an object to land 65 meters north of your position, you will need to use the equation Δdx = v1xΔt and the projectile motion equation in the y direction. The only unknown variable is the initial velocity in the y direction, which can be expressed in terms of the launch angle and v1x. By solving for the launch angle, you can determine the correct angle for the object to reach its target.
A. Sartorius
- I need to find the appropriate launch angle that will land an object 65 meters north of my position. Therefore Δdx = 65m [N]
- I am told that the time the object take to hit the ground is 5.23 seconds. Therefore Δt = 5.23s
- I then used the equation Δdx = v1xΔt to find v1x = 12.43 m/s.

After this I haven't a clue what to do next. Would someone kindly outline the steps I need to take to find the launch angle. Muchas gracias:smile:.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the projectile motion in the y (up) direction [tex] y = y_0 + v_{yo}t + \frac{1}{2}a t^2 [/tex] the only variable you don't know is the initial velocity in the y direction [itex] v_{yo} [/itex]. Can you express [itex] v_{yo} [/itex] in terms of the launch angle and v1x? In this case the equation can be solved for the launch angle.

Related to Solving 2D projectile motion problem for angle, given displacement and time.

1. How do you determine the initial velocity and angle for a 2D projectile motion problem?

In order to solve for the initial velocity and angle, you will need to use the equations of motion for projectile motion and plug in the given displacement and time values. Here is the equation for the vertical displacement:
Δy = v0t + ½gt2
And the equation for the horizontal displacement:
Δx = v0cosθt
Using the given values for displacement and time, you can solve for the initial velocity and angle.

2. How do you determine the maximum height and range for a 2D projectile motion problem?

To determine the maximum height and range, you will need to use the equations for vertical and horizontal displacement. The maximum height is achieved when the vertical displacement is equal to zero, so you can set the equation equal to zero and solve for t. Then, plug that value back into the equation to solve for the maximum height. The range is determined by the horizontal displacement, so you will need to use the equation for range and plug in the initial velocity and angle values to solve for the range.

3. Can you solve for the angle without knowing the initial velocity in a 2D projectile motion problem?

Yes, it is possible to solve for the angle without knowing the initial velocity. You will need to use the equation for range and plug in the given values for displacement and time. Then, you can solve for the angle using algebraic manipulation.

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. The force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, causing it to experience a decrease in velocity. This can result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height for the projectile.

5. Can you use the equations of motion for projectile motion in real-life scenarios?

Yes, the equations of motion for projectile motion are commonly used in real-life scenarios such as in sports, engineering, and physics experiments. However, it is important to note that these equations assume ideal conditions and do not take into account factors like air resistance, which can affect the accuracy of the results.