Solving 2007 F=ma Physics Olympiad Problems: AP Phys. C Study Guide

In summary: So, the summary of the conversation is that the speaker is going through the 2007 Physics Olympiad F=ma test and sharing their attempts and thoughts on the first 27 questions. They mention using the coordinate plane and derivatives to solve problems involving objects in motion and discuss the concept of acceleration and position. They also mention the importance of considering initial velocity when solving problems. In summary, the speaker discusses their attempts and thoughts on the first 27 questions of the 2007 Physics Olympiad F=ma test, using concepts such as the coordinate plane, derivatives, acceleration, and position to solve problems involving objects in motion. They also mention the importance of considering initial velocity in these types of problems.
myanmar
I'm going through the 2007 Physics Olympiad F=ma test tonight (first 27 questions). It's available http://www.aapt.org/Contests/upload/olympiad_2007_fnet_ma.pdf" , if you're wondering. I'll post my attempts here as I get to them. Tell me what I'm doing right or wrong. I don't really know this stuff, I'm taking AP Phys. C Mechanics right now.

1. An object moves in two dimensions according to [tex]\vec{r}[/tex](t) = (4.0[tex]t^{2}[/tex]-9.0)î + (2.0t-5.0)ĵ. where r is in meters and t in seconds. When does the object cross the x-axis?
(a) 0.0 s (b) 0.4 s (c) 0.6 s (d) 1.5 s (e) 2.5 s
From what I have picked up, i and j represent x and y in the coordinate plane (and k is z). I would think that it would cross the x-axis when the stuff next to the y becomes zero. 4.0[tex]t^{2}[/tex]-9=0 when t=1.5. So, my answer is d.

3. The coordinate of an object is given as a function of time by x = 8t - 3[tex]t^{2}[/tex], where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Its average velocity over the interval from t = 1 to t = 2s is
(a) -2 m/s (b) -1 m/s (c) -0.5 m/s (d) 0.5 m/s (e) 1 m/s
Well, velocity is just the derivative of position, so it would be given by v=8-6t. Since that's linear, the average of that is at the point t=1.5s, which means the answer is -1 m/s, b.

4. An object is released from rest and falls a distance h during the first second of time. How far will it fall during the next second of time?
(a) h (b) 2h (c) 3h (d) 4h (e) h^2
Acceleration is 9.8 m/s^s down, and position is the double integral of that which means it's quadratic. So, in the first second it should have fallen [tex]1^{2}[/tex] h. At the end of the second second, it should be at [tex]2^{2}[/tex] h. 4-1=3, the answer is c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok.

I would treat the #3 differently. V = Δx/Δt

(4 - 5)/ 1 = -1

1. You are right. But the "stuff' next to y is 2t-5 and not 4t^2 - 9. You found out when it'll cross the y-axis.

4. This particular answer is right. But i don't think this analogy would work if the body was not thrown from rest. In that case the answer would depend on the initial velocity.

Related to Solving 2007 F=ma Physics Olympiad Problems: AP Phys. C Study Guide

1. What is the "2007 F=ma Physics Olympiad" and why is it important?

The F=ma Physics Olympiad is an annual competition for high school students to test their physics knowledge and problem-solving skills. It is important because it allows students to challenge themselves and gain recognition for their abilities in physics, which can be beneficial for college admissions and future career opportunities.

2. What does the "AP Phys. C Study Guide" consist of?

The AP Phys. C Study Guide is a comprehensive resource that includes practice problems, explanations, and strategies for solving 2007 F=ma Physics Olympiad problems. It covers key topics in mechanics and electricity and magnetism, which are the two sections of the AP Physics C exam.

3. How can I use the study guide to improve my problem-solving skills?

The study guide provides step-by-step solutions for each problem, allowing you to see the thought process and techniques used to solve them. By practicing with these problems and understanding the strategies, you can improve your problem-solving skills and become more confident in tackling challenging physics problems.

4. Is this study guide suitable for all levels of physics knowledge?

While the study guide is specifically designed for students preparing for the 2007 F=ma Physics Olympiad, it can also be beneficial for students at various levels of physics knowledge. The problems range in difficulty, so even if you are not familiar with all the concepts, you can still learn from the explanations and practice solving the problems at your own pace.

5. Can I use this study guide to prepare for other physics competitions or exams?

Yes, the study guide covers key topics in mechanics and electricity and magnetism, which are also tested on other physics competitions and exams. The strategies and techniques provided can be applied to a variety of physics problems, making it a valuable resource for any student looking to improve their physics skills and knowledge.