Solving $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$ without a Calculator

• MHB
  • Thread starter maxkor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculator
In summary: So it seems that the problem is best handled using a calculator.In summary, the problem of proving the inequality $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$ without a calculator is very difficult, as the numerical value of $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}$ is extremely close to $10$. Using logarithms to base 10 shows that the left side of the inequality is positive, but very close to $0$, making it hard to prove without a calculator. Therefore, it is best to use a calculator to solve this problem.
maxkor
How prove that $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$ without a calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org
maxkor said:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{1} < \sqrt{3} &< \sqrt{4} \\ 1 < \sqrt{3} &< 2 \\ 2^1 < 2^{\sqrt{3}} &< 2^2 \\ 2 < 2^{\sqrt{3}} &< 4 \\ 2^2 < 2^{2^{\sqrt{3}}} &< 2^4 \\ 4 < 2^{2^{\sqrt{3}}} &< 16 \end{align*}$

That may have been a start at least...

Prove It said:
$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{1} < \sqrt{3} &< \sqrt{4} \\ 1 < \sqrt{3} &< 2 \\ 2^1 < 2^{\sqrt{3}} &< 2^2 \\ 2 < 2^{\sqrt{3}} &< 4 \\ 2^2 < 2^{2^{\sqrt{3}}} &< 2^4 \\ 4 < 2^{2^{\sqrt{3}}} &< 16 \end{align*}$

That may have been a start at least...

and what next?

maxkor said:
and what next?

Can you find a better starting lower bound for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{3} \end{align*}$?

Maybe if we use the average of 1 and 2 as a decent starting approximation for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{3} \end{align*}$, then we would have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{3}{2} \approx \sqrt{3} \end{align*}$. Notice that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( \frac{3}{2} \right) ^2 = \frac{9}{4} = 2.25 \end{align*}$, so $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{3}{2} < \sqrt{3} \end{align*}$.

Follow the same process in my previous to find another lower bound for $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2^{2^{\sqrt{3}}} \end{align*}$.

If it's not enough, find a better starting lower bound again...

maxkor said:
My first thought is to estimate the difficulty of the problem by using a calculator to find the numerical value of $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}$. The result I get is that (to six decimal places) it is equal to $10.000478$. That is so close to $10$ that a very accurate calculation will be needed to prove this inequality, and I don't see any way of doing it by hand.

If you twice take logs to base 10 then the inequality becomes $\sqrt3\log2 + \log(\log2) > 0$. The calculator shows that the left side of that inequality is indeed positive, but it is less than $10^{-5}$. Again, that is so close to $0$ that I cannot see any way to prove it without a calculator.

Related to Solving $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$ without a Calculator

1. How can I solve $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$ without a calculator?

To solve this without a calculator, you can use logarithms. Specifically, you can take the logarithm of both sides of the inequality to get $2^{\sqrt3}>2$. Then, using the property of logarithms, you can rewrite this as $\sqrt3>1$, which is true. Therefore, the original inequality holds and $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$.

2. What is the significance of using logarithms in this problem?

Logarithms allow us to solve exponential equations without using a calculator. In this case, we can use logarithms to simplify the original inequality and prove that it is true.

3. Can I use a different method to solve this problem without a calculator?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve this problem without a calculator. For example, you can use the properties of exponents to rewrite $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}$ as $(2^{\sqrt3})^2$, which can be simplified to $4^{\sqrt3}$. Then, using the definition of logarithms, you can rewrite $4^{\sqrt3}$ as $e^{\sqrt3\ln4}$, which can be approximated using the natural logarithm, $e$, and basic arithmetic operations.

4. Is it possible to solve this problem without any mathematical tools or techniques?

No, it is not possible to solve this problem without any mathematical tools or techniques. The given inequality involves exponents, which cannot be simplified without using logarithms or other mathematical concepts.

5. Can this problem be solved using a calculator?

Yes, this problem can be easily solved using a calculator. You can simply input the expression $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}$ and compare it to 10. The calculator will show that $2^{2^{\sqrt3}}>10$, confirming the given inequality.