Solving 1st Physics Class: Hydrogen Atom & Nucleus Diameters

In summary, a scale model of the hydrogen atom has a playing length of 100 yards and the diameter of the nucleus is 2.4x10^-15m.
jimen113

Homework Statement

A hydrogen atom has a diamter of approximately 1.06x10^-10m, as defined by the diameter of the spherical electron cloud around the nucleus. The hydrogen nucleus has a diameter of approximately 2.4x10^-15m.

Homework Equations

(a) for a scale model, represent the diameter of the hydrogen atom by the playing length of an American football field (100yards=300ft) and determine the diameter of the nucleus in millimeters
(b) the atom is how many times larger in volume than it nucleus?

The Attempt at a Solution

:
I don't know how to utilize the (100yards=300ft) to find the diameter of the nucleus
I tried converting 2.4x10^-15m into ft and used (100yards=300ft) to find the diameter in mm but the answer is wrong. I got (2.40x10^-12mm)
answer is: 2.07mm

Physics news on Phys.org
It appears to be a straight ratio problem. What is the ratio of the nucleus to the atom in this question? It is a number much less than 1. What is it?

Then take that same ratio, based on the American football field's size. If they want the answer in mm (MKS units), you need to convert the 100 yard length into meters. Do you know how to do that? You should be able to find a standard conversion table or calculator on the web...

thanks for your help.
1. I think the ratio of the nucleus to the atom is: (1.06x10^-10/2.4x10^-15)= 4.417X10^-26??
2. I will use the conversion factor (1yd=0.914 4m) once I get the ratio figured out.

jimen113 said:
thanks for your help.
1. I think the ratio of the nucleus to the atom is: (1.06x10^-10/2.4x10^-15)= 4.417X10^-26??
2. I will use the conversion factor (1yd=0.914 4m) once I get the ratio figured out.

No, your ratio in -1- is not correct. Did you use a calculator? The ratio will have an exponent that is the difference of the two exponents in the numerator and denominator, not the sum.

berkeman said:
No, your ratio in -1- is not correct. Did you use a calculator? The ratio will have an exponent that is the difference of the two exponents in the numerator and denominator, not the sum.
Looks like I'm an idiot, sorry:frown:
yes, I did use a calculator. Maybe the way I plugged in the #'s into the calculator was what went wrong. I tried using parantheses and I got this #: 44166.667, and you said that
"It is a number much less than 1. What is it?"
so the above answer is >1

That's okay. You got the ratio of the atom-to-nucleus, when berkeman said to find the nucleus-to-atom ratio. So the number is 44167 or 1/44167, it doesn't matter which as long as you keep in mind the nucleus is smaller than the atom.

Now you just need to convert the football field into m or mm. And since the field is modeling the atom, use the ratio number to figure out the model nucleus size.

Related to Solving 1st Physics Class: Hydrogen Atom & Nucleus Diameters

1. What is the hydrogen atom and why is it important in physics?

The hydrogen atom is the simplest and most abundant element in the universe. It consists of one proton in its nucleus and one electron orbiting around it. It is important in physics because it is the building block of all other elements and its behavior and properties can help us understand the fundamental laws of nature.

2. How is the diameter of the hydrogen atom and nucleus calculated?

The diameter of the hydrogen atom is calculated by measuring the average distance between the nucleus and the electron in its ground state, which is known as the Bohr radius. The diameter of the nucleus is calculated by measuring the distance between the center of the nucleus and its outermost nucleon, which is known as the nuclear radius.

3. What is the significance of the hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters in physics?

The hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters are significant in understanding the structure of atoms and the behavior of subatomic particles. They also play a crucial role in determining the size and properties of other elements.

4. How do the hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters compare to other elements?

The hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters are relatively small compared to other elements. The hydrogen atom has a diameter of about 0.1 nanometers, while the nucleus has a diameter of about 0.00001 nanometers. This is due to the fact that hydrogen has the simplest atomic structure with only one proton and one electron.

5. Can the hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters change?

Yes, the hydrogen atom and nucleus diameters can change under certain conditions. For example, when hydrogen is ionized, it loses its electron and the diameter of the atom decreases. Similarly, the diameter of the nucleus can change during nuclear reactions or under extreme temperatures and pressures.