Solving 1D Motion: How Fast Must a Police Car Go to Catch a Holdup Car?

In summary, the problem involves a police car pursuing a holdup car that has left the scene at 120 km/h. The police car leaves 0.50 h later and must catch up with the holdup car in 1.00 h. To solve the problem, we can use the equation s = vt and ignore acceleration since no data is given. The distance traveled by the holdup car when the police car catches it is 180 km.
Ashford

Homework Statement

A police car leaves in pursuit of a holdup car 0.50 h after the latter has left the scene of the crime at 120 km/h. How fast must the police car go if it is to catch up with the holdup car in 1.00h?

Homework Equations

I'm thinking Vf=Vo+at? i must be wrong, I can't seem to get the probelm started

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried so many but it doesn't seem to come out

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can ignore accelaration since no data is given. So it is simply s = vt
How far has the first car gone at constant speed when the police car catches it?

then distance = 120(1.5), Which equals 180 km. Thank you for the help I didn't even think of it like that.

Related to Solving 1D Motion: How Fast Must a Police Car Go to Catch a Holdup Car?

1. What is 1D motion?

1D motion refers to motion that occurs only in one dimension, such as along a straight line. This means that an object is only moving forward or backward, with no sideways or vertical movement.

2. How is 1D motion different from 2D or 3D motion?

1D motion is different from 2D or 3D motion because it only involves movement along one dimension, whereas 2D and 3D motion involve movement in two or three dimensions, respectively. This means that 1D motion is simpler and easier to analyze and calculate compared to 2D or 3D motion.

3. What is displacement in 1D motion?

Displacement in 1D motion refers to the change in an object's position along a straight line. It is a vector quantity that is measured from the initial position to the final position of the object.

4. What is velocity in 1D motion?

Velocity in 1D motion refers to the rate of change of an object's displacement over time. It is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

5. How do you calculate acceleration in 1D motion?

Acceleration in 1D motion is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. It is a vector quantity that represents the rate at which an object's velocity is changing. In 1D motion, acceleration can either be positive (when an object is speeding up) or negative (when an object is slowing down).