Solving 16 PDE's at once with COMSOL. (source terms are unknown)

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of solving 16 PDEs at once and the use of Comsol's multiphysics capabilities and optimization capabilities to solve the problem. The source term I0 is also mentioned, along with suggestions for defining it and using built-in functions and boundary conditions in Comsol.
iamkratos
Hi all:

The solution to my problem requires solving 16 PDE's at once. This shouldn't be hard - but you'll know what my problem is in a minute. The 16 PDE's :

∂/∂t (I+i) + Kn*μi ∂/∂x (I+i) + I+i = I0
∂/∂t (I-i) + Kn*μi ∂/∂x (I-i) + I-i = I0
for i's ranging from 1 to 8.

That comes up to 16 PDE's.

My domain is x ∊ [0,1]

I have numerical values for all the coefficients except I0 .
Also I have Dirichlet Boundary Conditions for I+i at x=0 and I-i at x=1 (for all 8 of each of them)

The only problem that I do have, is that my source term I0 is to be defined as:

I0 = 0.5 * [ Σ wi.I+i + Σ wi.I-i ] (summations are for i=1 to 8)

I also know the values for wi . (which are different for each i)

How can I solve this problem with Comsol??
Any Suggestions?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Solving 16 PDEs at once can definitely be a challenging task, but it is not impossible. One suggestion would be to use Comsol's multiphysics capabilities, which allow you to solve multiple PDEs simultaneously. In this case, you can set up a multiphysics model with the 16 PDEs and include the source term I0 as a function of the other variables. You can also use Comsol's built-in functions to define the source term based on the given values of wi. Additionally, you can use Comsol's built-in boundary conditions to specify the Dirichlet boundary conditions for I+i and I-i at x=0 and x=1, respectively.

Another suggestion would be to use Comsol's optimization capabilities to find the values of I0 that satisfy the given equation. You can set up an optimization study with the 16 PDEs and define the objective function as the difference between the left and right sides of the equation, with I0 as the variable to be optimized. This way, Comsol will automatically adjust the value of I0 to satisfy the equation.

I hope these suggestions help and good luck with your problem!

Related to Solving 16 PDE's at once with COMSOL. (source terms are unknown)

1. What is COMSOL?

COMSOL is a simulation software used for solving complex physics-based problems. It stands for "COMmunication, Signal and Image processing, and Optimization through Language".

2. What is a PDE?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena like heat transfer, fluid flow, and electromagnetic fields.

3. Can COMSOL solve multiple PDEs at once?

Yes, COMSOL is capable of solving multiple PDEs simultaneously. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate representation of complex systems.

4. What are source terms in PDEs?

Source terms are the parts of a PDE that represent the external influences on the system being modeled. They can include things like external forces, heat sources, or chemical reactions. In this case, the source terms are unknown, meaning they are not explicitly given and need to be solved for.

5. How does COMSOL handle unknown source terms?

COMSOL uses advanced numerical methods and algorithms to solve for unknown source terms in PDEs. These methods involve iterating and adjusting the solution until it converges to an accurate result. The accuracy and convergence of the solution depend on the complexity of the problem and the chosen settings in the software.