Solving 0 in Physics E&M Equation

• Thread starter anonymity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem from a calc-based E&M course. The equation E = 0 = 10 / (1 - x)2 + 5 / x2 - 10 / (1 + x)2 is being discussed and the speaker is unsure how to solve it. They checked the solutions manual and saw that they had the same equation, but it ended with "therefore, the root is bla." The speaker is wondering how the solutions manual solved the equation. A suggestion is made to try putting the fractions on the same denominator and adding them up. The speaker also mentions that they did not think of using Newton's method.
anonymity
I am working on a physics problem from a calc-based E&M (intro) course, and I came up with the following equation:

E = 0 = 10 / (1 - x)2 + 5 / x2 - 10 / (1 + x)2

I got here and worried it was a dead end, so I checked the solutions manual, and they have the exact same thing, and then say " therefore, the root is bla. So, ~equation~ = 0 => x = bla"

How did they solve this? =|

edit: The only attempt I would know how to make is solve one of the terms individually, and then solve the other two as a system, and hope that one of the two solutions coincide. However, this seems stupid because that basically leaves it all to chance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anonymity! :smile:

Put the fractions on the same denominator and add them up. That's always a good first step!

Not a major point, but your title is screwy. You never "solve for zero." We know what zero is. You're solving for x, which is not known.

Yeah I know I read that as I was closing out the window to head to class..didn't have time or motivation enough to edit it, as it is irrelevant and clarified in my post.

Micro: thanks ill try that, seems like it could get very messy very quick though : I

anonymity said:
I am working on a physics problem from a calc-based E&M (intro) course, and I came up with the following equation:

E = 0 = 10 / (1 - x)2 + 5 / x2 - 10 / (1 + x)2

I got here and worried it was a dead end, so I checked the solutions manual, and they have the exact same thing, and then say " therefore, the root is bla. So, ~equation~ = 0 => x = bla"

How did they solve this? =|

edit: The only attempt I would know how to make is solve one of the terms individually, and then solve the other two as a system, and hope that one of the two solutions coincide. However, this seems stupid because that basically leaves it all to chance.
Did they give a formula, or a numerical answer? If they gave a formula, what is it?

If they give a formula they might have used the general solution of a quartic equation as given in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartic_function , for example. If they gave a numerical answer they might have used Newton's Method.

RGV

It was a numerical value. I can't believe I didnt think of using Newton's method (i can't believe, either, that this actually showed up in a class other than basic single variable calculus...).

As far as if this is the way the book did it, I am not so sure. It seems unlikely that they would REQUIRE you to use something as obscure as Newton's method for a general physics course.

Regardless, assuming Newton's method doesn't fail and bounce all around the number plane, it will work. I will ask my professor tomorrow if there's a less tedious/more basic way to solve it.

Thanks for your help Ray.

Related to Solving 0 in Physics E&M Equation

1. What does it mean to "solve 0" in a physics E&M equation?

Solving 0 in a physics E&M equation refers to finding the value of a variable that makes the equation equal to 0. This value is often referred to as the "zero solution" and can provide important information about the behavior of the system being studied.

2. Why is solving 0 in a physics E&M equation important?

Solving 0 in a physics E&M equation can help determine key properties of a system, such as the equilibrium point or stability. It can also assist in finding solutions to more complex equations and understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

3. How do you solve 0 in a physics E&M equation?

The process of solving 0 in a physics E&M equation involves manipulating the equation algebraically to isolate the variable being solved for. This may involve using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Once the variable is isolated, its value can be determined by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for the variable.

4. What are some common tips for solving 0 in a physics E&M equation?

Some common tips for solving 0 in a physics E&M equation include carefully checking the signs of each term in the equation, using appropriate units and conversions, and double-checking calculations for accuracy. It can also be helpful to break the equation down into smaller, simpler steps and to use known formulas or laws to guide the solution process.

5. Can solving 0 in a physics E&M equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for solving 0 in a physics E&M equation to have multiple solutions. In some cases, there may be no solution or an infinite number of solutions. This depends on the specific equation being solved and the values of the variables involved. It is important to carefully consider the physical implications of each solution to determine which one is the most relevant for the given situation.