Solvents for Grignard Synthesis?

• Thread starter ericvon11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, when choosing a solvent for a Grignard reaction, it is important to select one that is not miscible with water. Some commonly used solvents for this reaction include tetrahydrofuran, dioxane, and glyme. These solvents can be dried using a short pad of basic alumina before use.
ericvon11
Okay so besides anhydrous diethyl ether, what other solvents could I use for a Grignard? What makes it a good solvent and what makes something a bad solvent? I know we want something that isn't miscible with water in the least bit because this would kill the reaction, but what else?

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Any solvent that can react with Grignard compounds is a bad one...

The standard set is tetrahydrofuran, dioxane and glyme (MeOCh2CH2OMe). They are actually all micible with water, you just need to dry them first. Normally (nowadays) that is done by passing them through a short pad of basic alumina.

Related to Solvents for Grignard Synthesis?

1. What is the purpose of using solvents in Grignard synthesis?

Solvents are used in Grignard synthesis to dissolve the reactants and facilitate the reaction. They also help to stabilize the reactive Grignard reagent and control the rate of the reaction.

2. Which solvents are commonly used in Grignard synthesis?

The most commonly used solvents in Grignard synthesis are ether solvents such as diethyl ether, tetrahydrofuran (THF), and ethyl ether. Other solvents such as benzene, toluene, and hexane can also be used.

3. How do I choose the right solvent for my Grignard synthesis reaction?

The choice of solvent for Grignard synthesis depends on the specific reactants and desired reaction conditions. Factors such as solubility, reactivity, and stability of the Grignard reagent should be considered when selecting a solvent.

4. Can I use water as a solvent in Grignard synthesis?

No, water should not be used as a solvent in Grignard synthesis as it can react with the Grignard reagent and hinder the reaction. Water also has a high polarity which can disrupt the formation of the Grignard reagent.

5. How should solvents be handled and stored in Grignard synthesis?

Solvents used in Grignard synthesis should be handled with caution as they are flammable and can form explosive mixtures with air. They should be stored in a cool, dry place away from sources of heat and ignition.