Solved: Spark Transmitter Circuit Connection

In summary: If you want to make the transmitter work with a lower frequency, you can replace the 100pf capacitor with a 10pf or even a 5pf one.In summary, the transistors aren't a problem, the 100pf capacitor might need to be replaced, and the transformers might need to be figured out by working backwards from the definition of inductance.
DemoNibs
[SOLVED] Spark transmitter

1. Hello, I am making this project ( a spark transmitter and a receiver), my problem are those coils below ( Lp, La, Lr). How are they connected to the circuit.

fig2.GIF

three images are attached for the detail

please help me

thanks

Attachments

• here.GIF
    here.GIF
    21.6 KB · Views: 490
  • 1.GIF
    1.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 446
  • 2.GIF
    2.GIF
    2.2 KB · Views: 406
Physics news on Phys.org
Lp and La are most likely transformers, and it isn't a connection, rather it works on the principle of mutual induction.

I'm not really sure what is going on with L_R.

From the looks of it, this circuit will probably be relatively expensive to make. Do you have to know how it works?? That could also be hard for someone without much circuit experience. That's a strange transistor configuration, and I myself would have to work it out more.

Cool project! Assuming you manage to assemble this dinosaur, can you legally operate a spark gap transmitter? I suppose the frequency is low enough it's not going to interfere with anyones iPhone. Can you still get a 2N2219 transistor? And where do you get carbon microphones? Where did you find it?

Dick said:
Cool project! Assuming you manage to assemble this dinosaur, can you legally operate a spark gap transmitter? I suppose the frequency is low enough it's not going to interfere with anyones iPhone. Can you still get a 2N2219 transistor? And where do you get carbon microphones? Where did you find it?

The transistors aren't problem because I can buy some from the electronics store ( I already asked if they have some, they cost not even a dollar). Getting the carbon mic is not a problem too. The only problems are those coils I marked above and the 100pf high voltage capacitor, 'ALfa electronic'(store) has 100pf capacitor but low voltage. And Mindscrape, what do you think, what's the ratio between those coils if they are transformers. In the chart about those coils (La, Lp, Lr) is typed 22 microHenries ( henries is measurement for inductors and maybe transformers, but maybe). About the T1, it clearly says it's a transformer ( automotive ignition coil, it's ratio is 1:100 ).

what's the ratio of the transformers?

Sorry I didn't get back to you. I could be wrong about the La, Lp, and Lr being transformers. Lr is definitely confusing. If they are, in fact, transformers you could presumably figure out their ratios by working backwards from the definition of inductance.

Berkman might know better, he is pretty good with circuits. If you still haven't figured it out, and need help really bad I could ask some people I personally know.

Mindscrape, I'm so thankful for your attempts to help, anyway, I solved this problem already, and if you are interested I would upload the solution here. La, Lp, and Lr are some kind of transformers as you said, their primary and secondary windings are one above the other with a thin insulator between them and no core ( like in the Tesla coil, you should wind it by hand usually).

Related to Solved: Spark Transmitter Circuit Connection

1. How does a spark transmitter circuit work?

A spark transmitter circuit works by using a high voltage spark to create electromagnetic waves that can be transmitted through the air. The circuit includes a source of electrical energy, such as a battery, and a spark gap that produces the high voltage spark. This spark is then connected to an antenna, which radiates the electromagnetic waves into the surrounding space.

2. What materials are needed to build a spark transmitter circuit?

The materials needed to build a spark transmitter circuit include a power source, such as a battery or power supply, a spark gap, an antenna, and various electronic components such as capacitors, resistors, and coils. It is also important to have a solid understanding of circuit design and electrical principles in order to properly construct the circuit.

3. How do you connect the components of a spark transmitter circuit?

The components of a spark transmitter circuit are connected in a specific way to ensure that the circuit functions properly. The power source is connected to the spark gap, which is then connected to the antenna. Additional components, such as capacitors and resistors, may be connected in parallel or series with the spark gap to control the flow of electricity and adjust the frequency of the electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the purpose of a spark transmitter circuit?

The main purpose of a spark transmitter circuit is to send radio signals wirelessly through the air. This technology was used in the early days of radio communication, before the invention of more advanced transmitters. Spark transmitter circuits are still used in some applications, such as in amateur radio and for historical reenactments.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with spark transmitter circuits?

Yes, there are several safety concerns when working with spark transmitter circuits. The high voltage spark can be dangerous, and caution should be taken when handling and connecting the components. It is important to use proper insulation and avoid touching any live components. Additionally, these circuits can interfere with other electronic devices, so it is important to use them in a controlled and regulated environment.