Solved: Harmonic Motion - A, T, v=0, Acceleration, & Phase

In summary: Can you clarify?In summary, the motion of a particle is given by x = (6.0m) cos(0.586t + 0.72). To find the amplitude, we simply take A = 6.0. To find the period, we use the equation T = 2pi/ω, where ω = 0.586. The value of 0.72 is a factor necessary for the mathematical description to match the observed motion. To find the first time for t>0 when v=0, we look for the smallest positive value of t that makes cos(...) equal to 1 or -1. To find the maximum acceleration, we use calculus and take the derivative of the equation
BlueRiboon

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is given by: x = (6.0m) cos(0.586t + 0.72)

a) Find the amplitude
b) Find the Period
c) Find the first time for t>0 when v=0
d) Find the maximum acceleration
e) Fine the phase at time t=1.38s

Homework Equations

x = A cos ωt
T = 2pi/ω
f = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I am taking the course on Online, there is no online lecture..
Have to learn everything from the textbook but, English is my second language :'(
Having hard time understand the basic concept..

a) A = 6.0

b) I don't know about 0.586t + 0.72
should I just calculate like.. T = 2pi / ω , T =2pi/0.586 ?
Where do I use 0.72?

c) v=0 (t>0) it means, fine the time at T/2 ?

d) no idea..

e) is phase means to find x ? so just plug t=1.38 in the formula?

Thank you so much for your help.. quicker the better..

I am not even done with studying everything , but have a final exam in 2 days.
.. I started the course 5 weeks ago with another offline course.. (due to school's cancellation of my course) , and so far finished 12 chapters.., 2 more chapters to go!

Any help would be so appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try exploring this equation by plotting it [fooplot.com provides a nice tool].
For d), you are given x(t). v(t) = dx(t)/dt, a(t) = dv(t)/dt.

lewando said:
Try exploring this equation by plotting it [fooplot.com provides a nice tool].
For d), you are given x(t). v(t) = dx(t)/dt, a(t) = dv(t)/dt.

Thank you for your reply

I tried plotting it that website,

For a) b) d) , After I plotting on the website, I think +0.72 just shift whole thing to the right,
so won't effect the amplitude, period and max Accelation.

If my assumption is correct, I got the a,b,d but still have no idea about c)
and, for e) do I just have to put time in the equation?

Thanks!

BlueRiboon said:

Homework Statement

The motion of a particle is given by: x = (6.0m) cos(0.586t + 0.72)

a) Find the amplitude
b) Find the Period
c) Find the first time for t>0 when v=0
d) Find the maximum acceleration
e) Fine the phase at time t=1.38s

Homework Equations

x = A cos ωt
T = 2pi/ω
f = 1/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I am taking the course on Online, there is no online lecture..
Have to learn everything from the textbook but, English is my second language :'(
Having hard time understand the basic concept..

a) A = 6.0

b) I don't know about 0.586t + 0.72
should I just calculate like.. T = 2pi / ω , T =2pi/0.586 ?
Where do I use 0.72?

c) v=0 (t>0) it means, fine the time at T/2 ?

d) no idea..

e) is phase means to find x ? so just plug t=1.38 in the formula?

Thank you so much for your help.. quicker the better..

I am not even done with studying everything , but have a final exam in 2 days.
.. I started the course 5 weeks ago with another offline course.. (due to school's cancellation of my course) , and so far finished 12 chapters.., 2 more chapters to go!

Any help would be so appreciated!
Thanks!

b) If a weighted spring was set in oscillation in shm, and you then walked into the room and watched it - what is to say it was passing through the equilibrium position at the instant you walked in? The 0.72 is the factor necessary for the mathematical description to match what you actually observed - so you proposal for calculating T looks good.

c) v=0 occurs at maximum displacement - so when cos(...) = 1 and -1. What is the smallest positive value of t that meets those conditions.

d) maximum acceleration occurs at maximum displacement, though using calculus [derivatives] as suggested by lewando is probably called for.

e) not quite sure what is meant by this.

Hello, it seems like you are struggling with some of the concepts in harmonic motion. Let's go through each question together to help you understand the concepts better.

a) The amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, in this case it is 6.0m. So you are correct, the amplitude is 6.0m.

b) The period is the time it takes for one full cycle of the motion. In this case, the period can be found using the formula T = 2π/ω, where ω is the angular frequency. In your equation, ω = 0.586, so you can plug that into the formula to find the period. The value of 0.72 is the phase angle, which we will discuss in question e).

c) To find the first time when v=0, we need to look at the velocity equation, which is v = -ωA sin(ωt + Φ), where Φ is the phase angle. In this case, we can see that when the sine term is equal to 0, the velocity will be 0. So, we can set ωt + Φ = 0 and solve for t. This will give us the first time when v=0.

d) The maximum acceleration occurs at the equilibrium point, where x=0. Therefore, we can find the maximum acceleration by plugging in x=0 into the acceleration equation, which is a = -ω^2A cos(ωt + Φ). This will give us the maximum acceleration value.

e) The phase angle, Φ, represents the initial position of the particle at t=0. In this case, the phase angle is 0.72. So, to find the phase at t=1.38s, we can plug in t=1.38 into the equation, giving us x = (6.0m) cos(0.586(1.38) + 0.72). This will give us the position of the particle at t=1.38s, but it is not the phase angle.

I hope this helps you understand the concepts better. Remember to study and practice as much as you can before your exam. Good luck!

Related to Solved: Harmonic Motion - A, T, v=0, Acceleration, & Phase

What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This results in a sinusoidal or oscillatory motion.

What does "A" represent in harmonic motion?

"A" represents the amplitude of the oscillation, which is the maximum displacement from equilibrium.

What is the period (T) of harmonic motion?

The period (T) is the time it takes for one complete cycle of the harmonic motion, from one point of maximum displacement to the next.

Why is the velocity (v) equal to 0 at the maximum displacement in harmonic motion?

In harmonic motion, the velocity is equal to 0 at the maximum displacement because this is the point where the direction of motion changes, resulting in a momentary pause before the object starts to move in the opposite direction.

What is the phase in harmonic motion?

The phase in harmonic motion is a measure of the position of the object within one complete cycle, expressed as an angle or fraction of the period. It is used to compare the position of one object in harmonic motion to another object in the same motion.