Solved: Cantilever Experiment: Deriving Formulae

In summary, the two formulae for cantilever oscillations are T= 2(pi)*[(4ML^3)/(bd^3E)]^1/2 and h= 4MgL^3/Ebd^3. The equation for the time period of small oscillations comes from plugging the shear stress into the restoring force and linearizing to first order.
ash1098
[SOLVED] Cantilever experiment

Hi,

I am writing a report on cantilever oscillations, my experiment involves fixing different cantilvers e.g. a ruler to the end of a table then measuring the period and height of oscillations while varing the mass attached to the cantilever, and other varients e.g. length of cantilever.

I have come across these two formulae:

T= 2(pi)*[(4ML^3)/(bd^3E)]^1/2

and:

h= 4MgL^3/Ebd^3

where: b= width of cantilever
d= thickness of cantilever
E= Youngs Modulus
M=Mass
L=Lenght of cantilever
T=period of oscillations
h=height of oscillation

I have looked at eqn's involving Hooke's and simple harmonic motion but cannot work out how these formulae have been derived.

Does anyone know how these formulae where derived, or where I can find information on this in general?

Thanks.

ash.

p.s. I have written out the formulae using math open office and attached them in pdf if it helps make them easier to read.

Attachments

• h.pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 2,924
  • T.pdf
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,049
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you studied how to calculate bending moments and shear stresses in beams? That's the starting point. You will finding it covered in any standard Engineering Mechanics/Solid Mechanics/Strength of Materials textbook (e.g., Timoshenko) or online by Googling the above terms (also try deflection of beams).

If you don't want to start from first principles, you can start with the general deflection equation for a cantilevered beam:

[tex]h=\frac{PL^3}{3EI}[/tex]

which is essentially, the cross-section independent form of your second equation. The equation for the time period of small oscillations comes from plugging the shear stress into the restoring force and linearizing to first order. Or if you'll settle for a quick wave of the hands, notice that the equation for T is exactly what you would get if you take the expression for h and plug this into the place of the length of a simple pendulum.

Hi Gokul, Sorry I took so long to reply, I forgot I had this post running. I understand my investigation now! Thank you for your help.

Related to Solved: Cantilever Experiment: Deriving Formulae

1. What is a cantilever experiment?

A cantilever experiment is a scientific experiment that involves studying the behavior of a cantilever, which is a rigid structural element that is supported at only one end. In this type of experiment, the cantilever is subjected to various forces and the resulting deflections are measured and analyzed.

2. What is the purpose of the cantilever experiment?

The purpose of the cantilever experiment is to derive formulae that can be used to predict the behavior of cantilever structures under different loading conditions. These formulae can then be applied in engineering and design to ensure the structural integrity and stability of cantilevered structures.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a cantilever?

The behavior of a cantilever can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the cantilever, the type and magnitude of applied load, the length and thickness of the cantilever, and the support conditions at the fixed end.

4. How are formulae derived from the cantilever experiment?

In a cantilever experiment, the deflection of the cantilever is measured for different applied loads. By analyzing these data, researchers can use principles of mechanics and mathematics to derive formulae that describe the relationship between the applied load and the resulting deflection of the cantilever.

5. How are the formulae from the cantilever experiment used in real-world applications?

The formulae derived from the cantilever experiment are used in engineering and design to ensure the structural safety and stability of cantilevered structures, such as bridges, balconies, and beams. They are also used in material testing and research to study the properties of different materials and their behavior under different loading conditions.