Warning - Poetry Shortens Your Life

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, according to a US researcher, poets tend to die at a younger age compared to other writers such as novelists, playwrights, and non-fiction writers. This could be due to their tendency towards self-destruction or their early fame which brings attention to their early deaths. The researcher studied 1,987 dead writers from various countries, but did not investigate the causes of death. The average lifespan of poets was 62 years, while playwrights, novelists, and non-fiction writers lived slightly longer. It is possible that the prevalence of depression and underappreciation in the world of poetry contributes to these early deaths.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Poets die young - younger than novelists, playwrights and other writers, a US researcher says.

It could be because poets are tortured and prone to self-destruction, or it could be that poets become famous young, so their early deaths are noticed, said James Kaufman of the Learning Research Institute at California State University at San Bernardino.

For the report, published in the Journal of Death Studies, Kaufman studied 1,987 dead writers from various centuries from the United States, China, Turkey and Eastern Europe. He classified the writers as fiction writers, poets, playwrights, and non-fiction writers. He did not study the causes of death.

"Among American, Chinese and Turkish writers, poets died significantly younger than non-fiction writers," Kaufman wrote in the report. "Among the entire sample, poets died younger than both fiction writers and non-fiction writers."

Because Kaufman studied some writers who lived hundreds of years ago, it is impossible to compare their average age of death to that of the general population.

"On average, poets lived 62 years, playwrights 63 years, novelists 66 years and non-fiction writers lived 68 years," Kaufman said in an interview conducted by e-mail. [continued]

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,3782-3279948,00.html

Not to be knocking great literature since I really do have a great appreciation for what I have read, but while in college I did notice that the stuff is often really depressing. I remember being depressed for days while I had to read and analyze Hemmingway’s "To Kill an Elephant".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that a maniac theory or what!

Kenneth Rexroth, a critic and poet, stated years ago that "The leading cause of death among American poets of 'anthology rank' is suicide."

I agree it would have been better if they broke down the causes of death, at least into general categories of "natural causes" and "suicide." It does seem, from the perspective of the casual observer, that poets are more depressed and use poetry as an outlet for that depression. It also seems to me that the other categories of writers are more likely to see their works published and gaining fame in their lifetime, so would get more reward for their efforts. Even a very popular poem just doesn't get the same sort of recognition as a best-selling novel, so someone who is seriously trying to earn a living as a poet is probably going to spend life feeling pretty unappreciated...not unlike the starving artist whose paintings don't catch on as something collectors want until after the artist's death.

Ivan Seeking said:

Not to be knocking great literature since I really do have a great appreciation for what I have read, but while in college I did notice that the stuff is often really depressing. I remember being depressed for days while I had to read and analyze Hemmingway’s "To Kill an Elephant".

True, very depressing. I remember feeling depressed for a while when I had to write a report on a poem entitled "Vergissmeinnicht".

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/710.html

EDIT: The author of the poem "Vergissmeinnicht", Keith Douglas, died shortly after he wrote this poem during the invasion of Normandy.

motai said:
True, very depressing. I remember feeling depressed for a while when I had to write a report on a poem entitled "Vergissmeinnicht".

I got depressed when I got my grade on my research paper on "Porpyria's Lover" by Robert Browning.

Ivan Seeking said:
"On average, poets lived 62 years, playwrights 63 years, novelists 66 years and non-fiction writers lived 68 years," Kaufman said in an interview conducted by e-mail."

What's the average lifespan of a physicist?

Math Is Hard said:
What's the average lifespan of a physicist?

In whose frame of reference? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
In whose frame of reference? :biggrin:

Eep! I hadn't thought of that! :eek:

1. What is the scientific basis for the claim that poetry shortens your life?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that poetry shortens your life. The phrase is often used metaphorically to express the idea that engaging in creative or emotional pursuits can take a toll on one's physical and mental well-being.

2. Is there any research that shows a correlation between writing poetry and a shorter lifespan?

No, there is no research that directly links writing poetry to a shorter lifespan. However, studies have shown that chronic stress and intense emotional experiences can have negative impacts on health, and writing poetry may be a way for individuals to express and process these emotions.

3. Can reading poetry also have a negative effect on one's health?

There is no evidence to suggest that reading poetry can have a negative effect on one's health. In fact, reading and engaging with literature has been shown to have numerous positive effects on cognitive function and mental well-being.

4. Are there any benefits to writing or reading poetry despite the potential risk to health?

Yes, there are many potential benefits to writing and reading poetry. These include improved emotional intelligence, increased empathy, enhanced creativity, and a sense of connectedness and belonging. These benefits may outweigh any potential risks to health.

5. What are some ways to mitigate the potential negative effects of writing poetry?

To mitigate potential negative effects, it is important to practice self-care and find ways to manage stress and emotions. This can include seeking support from friends and family, engaging in physical activity, and seeking professional help if needed. It may also be helpful to take breaks from writing if it becomes overwhelming.