Solve X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0 | Chris Struggling

In summary, the conversation is about solving a linear second order differential equation with constant coefficients and initial values. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions, with one specific eigenvalue being \lambda=1+\alpha and the corresponding eigenfunction being X(t)=Ae^{(-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}+Be^{(-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}. The other eigenvalues satisfy the equation \frac{-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}{-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}e^{2\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}=1.
Chris_K
I'm having trouble getting started on this problem... I just really don't understand what to do.

Solve
[tex]X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0, 0<x<1[/tex]
[tex]X(0)=0[/tex]
[tex]X'(1)=0[/tex]

a. Is [tex]\lambda=1+\alpha[/tex] an eigenvalue? What is the corresponding eigenfunction?
b. Find the equation that the other eigenvalues satisfy.

I appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
are u sure that the edo is correct?

you have there a linear second order d.o with constant coeficients and initial values, so your solution will be some linear comb. of exp[rt] (you have to calculate r of course).

i don't really understand why would you end with an eigenvalue problem in this way but maybe I am not well informed.

Yeah, everything on there is correct. I'm not sure what you mean though...

nm... figured it out.

Last edited:
[tex]X''+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0[/tex]

let [itex]X=e^{rt}[/itex] implies

[tex]r^2+2r+(\lambda-\alpha)=0[/tex]

so

[tex]r=-1\pm\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}[/tex]

[tex]X(t)=Ae^{(-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}+Be^{(-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)})t}[/tex]

[tex]X(0)=A+B[/tex]

so [itex]A=-B[/tex]

[tex]X'(1)=A[r_{+}e^{r+}-r_{-}e^{r_{-}}]=0[/tex]

[itex]A=0[/itex] would lead to the trivial solution, so

[tex]r_{+}e^{\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}}=r_{-}e^{-\sqrt{1-(\lambda-\alpha)}}[/tex]

[itex]\lambda=1+\alpha[/itex] is clearly an eigenvalue

and [itex]\lambda_{m}[/itex] satisfy the equation

[tex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}{-1-\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}e^{2\sqrt{1-(\lambda_{m}-\alpha)}}=1[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Solve X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0 | Chris Struggling

1. What is the equation for "Solve X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0 | Chris Struggling"?

The equation is X'+2X'+(\lambda-\alpha)X=0, which represents a second-order linear differential equation.

2. What is the meaning of the variables in the equation?

The variable X represents the function being solved, while \lambda and \alpha are constants.

3. What is the purpose of solving this equation?

The purpose of solving this equation is to find a function X that satisfies the given differential equation, which can be used to model real-world phenomena or solve other mathematical problems.

4. What is the process for solving this equation?

The process for solving this equation involves finding the complementary function, particular integral, and then combining them to form the general solution. This involves using techniques such as substitution, integration, and solving for constants using initial conditions.

5. What are the applications of this type of differential equation?

Second-order linear differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. They can be used to model the motion of objects under the influence of forces, describe electrical circuits, and analyze population growth and decay, among others.