Solve $(x^2+3x+2)(x^2-2x-1)(x^2-7x+12)+24=0$

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation has a set of values for x that satisfy it, called the roots or solutions. There are restrictions on the values of x based on the properties of the quadratic formula to ensure real solutions. The equation can be solved by factoring or using the quadratic formula, with factoring being the most efficient method. This equation can be solved algebraically through factoring and finding the roots. Other possible methods include graphing or using a calculator.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Find all real numbers that satisfy $(x^2+3x+2)(x^2-2x-1)(x^2-7x+12)+24=0$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
An old trick :

We see that $x^2 + 3x + 2 = (x + 1)(x + 2)$ and $x^2 - 7x + 12 = (x - 3)(x - 4)$. Then, we have :

$$\begin{aligned}(x^2+3x+2)(x^2-2x-1)(x^2-7x+12)+24 &= (x + 1)(x + 2)(x^2 - 2x - 1)(x - 3)(x - 4) + 24 \\ &= \{(x + 1)(x - 3)\}\{x^2 - 2x - 1\}\{(x + 2)(x - 4)\} + 24 \\ &= (x^2 - 2x - 3)(x^2 - 2x - 1)(x^2 - 2x - 8) + 24\end{aligned}$$

Setting $t = x^2 - 2x$ gives the twisted cubic of the form

$$(t - 3)(t - 1)(t - 8) + 24 = t^3 - 12t^2 + 35t = t(t - 5)(t - 7)$$

Reversing the transformation gives

$$x(x - 2)(x^2 - 2x - 5)(x^2 - 2x - 7)$$

The real roots are then

$$ x = 0, 2, 1 - \sqrt{6}, 1 + \sqrt{6}, 1 - 2\sqrt{2}, 1 + 2\sqrt{2} $$

Balarka

Last edited:
Thanks for participating, Balarka and fyi, I used the same method to tackle the problem as well!(Smile)

That. Was. Sooooooo. Cool! (heart)

-Dan

Yeah, quite interesting, this trick. Whenever you find $ABC + K$, factorize $A$, $B$ and $C$ - see what you have :p

I discovered this one when I was 5, thought it was original then but a few years afterwards, I noticed that some textbooks using this method. Funny, no?

Related to Solve $(x^2+3x+2)(x^2-2x-1)(x^2-7x+12)+24=0$

1. What is the solution to the given equation?

The solution to the given equation is not a single value, but rather a set of values for x that satisfy the equation. This set of solutions is called the roots or solutions of the equation.

2. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in this equation. The restrictions are based on the properties of the quadratic formula, and they ensure that the solutions are real numbers.

3. How can I solve this equation?

This equation can be solved by using the quadratic formula or by factoring. In this case, factoring is the most efficient method. You can use the distributive property to expand the equation and then group like terms together. From there, you can use the zero product property to find the roots of the equation.

4. Can this equation be solved algebraically?

Yes, this equation can be solved algebraically. The process of factoring and finding the roots of the equation is an algebraic method of solving the equation.

5. What are the possible methods for solving this equation?

The two main methods for solving this equation are factoring and using the quadratic formula. Other possible methods include graphing or using a calculator to find the roots of the equation.