Find the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap

• Thread starter ValiantKhan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap when it is set. The potential energy of a mouse trap is different from traditional forms of potential energy such as gravitational, electrical, or elastic potential energy. Instead, it is calculated using the torsional spring constant (k) and the angle (θ) from equilibrium. To measure this, one can use a Newtonmeter to determine the force of the spring and then measure the angle it is pulled back to set the trap. The formula for potential energy in this case is 1/2kθ^2. However, since the mouse trap does not start off in equilibrium, more measurements and calculations are needed.
ValiantKhan
Hello, I'm trying to find the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap when it is set. I've read up on Potential energy.. but all I've found is gravitational, electrical, or elastic potential energy.. and that E = MGH .. but i don't have any height..

but if anyone can point me in the right direction , i'd be much appreciative.

Thanks!

--Val

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you got the actual trap to measure it? You could use:

Work done =Force x distance moved in direction of force

and then measure the force with a Newtonmeter and see how far you have to pull it back to set it.
Not very accurate, but close enough...

With a mouse trap (I assume you are talking about one of the standard mouse traps you can buy in a store), it's not "mgh" but "kx" that is important. The mouse trap arm, when released, is moved by a spring. If k is the spring constant (the amount of force necessary to contract the spring a unit distance) then the work done in moving the spring through a distance x is kx and that is the energy involved in releasing the spring.

Since you probably are not given "k", you will need to measure it as Adrian Baker said.

HallsofIvy said:
With a mouse trap (I assume you are talking about one of the standard mouse traps you can buy in a store), it's not "mgh" but "kx" that is important. The mouse trap arm, when released, is moved by a spring. If k is the spring constant (the amount of force necessary to contract the spring a unit distance) then the work done in moving the spring through a distance x is kx and that is the energy involved in releasing the spring.

Since you probably are not given "k", you will need to measure it as Adrian Baker said.

I'm sure HallsofIvy was in a hurry when that was typed, but what he actually meant was that the PE of a spring with spring constant k is

[tex] \frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex]

:)

Zz.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be more "natural" to express the potential energy in terms of the rotated angle from equilibrium?

Okay.. So I have to use the Newtonmeter to find out how much force the spring is pushing down on the bar.. that gives me the K right.. and then the X distance would be the distance the end of the bar goes ? would it be the distance in a semicircle.. or the distance from the spring loaded position directly to the unloaded position? if that makes any sense.. then i can go and use the PE = 1/2KX^2 correct??

i thank you all for your help. much appreciated.

--Val

ValiantKhan said:
Hello, I'm trying to find the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap when it is set. I've read up on Potential energy.. but all I've found is gravitational, electrical, or elastic potential energy.. and that E = MGH .. but i don't have any height..

but if anyone can point me in the right direction , i'd be much appreciative.

Thanks!

--Val

A mouse trap is basically a lever arm which has a tourque on it caused by the spring. The spring coil has a torsional constant. Multiply the tortional constant by the angle that the arm is moved through from equilibrium and you get the potential energy of the system. This treats the mouse trap as if the board is nailed to the floor (i.e. remains fixed).

Pete

torsional spring constant

arildno said:
Wouldn't it be more "natural" to express the potential energy in terms of the rotated angle from equilibrium?
Right. If the rotational (torsional) spring constant is k (units of torque per angle), then the potential energy of the spring (at an angle θ from equilibrium) would be:
[tex] \frac{1}{2} k\theta^2[/tex]
However, the spring does not start off in equilibrium (the closed position of the mousetrap is not θ = 0). So you'd have to measure k, and figure out θ1 and θ2.

Interesting!

1. How does a mouse trap store energy?

A mouse trap stores energy through the use of a spring, which is held in a state of tension until triggered by the movement of the trap's trigger mechanism. When triggered, the spring releases its stored energy, causing the trap to snap shut.

2. What type of energy is stored in a mouse trap?

A mouse trap stores potential energy, which is the energy held in an object due to its position or state. In this case, the spring is in a state of tension, meaning it has the potential to do work when released.

3. How can the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap be calculated?

The amount of stored energy in a mouse trap can be calculated using the formula E=1/2kx^2, where E is the stored energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. The spring constant can be determined by measuring the force required to compress the spring a certain distance.

4. What factors affect the amount of stored energy in a mouse trap?

The amount of stored energy in a mouse trap can be affected by various factors, including the type of spring used, the distance the spring is compressed, and any external forces acting on the trap. Additionally, the materials used to construct the trap can also impact the amount of stored energy.

5. How can the stored energy in a mouse trap be released?

The stored energy in a mouse trap is released when the trap is triggered and the spring is allowed to snap back to its original state. This can happen when the trigger mechanism is activated by the movement of a mouse, or can be manually triggered by pulling on the trap's trigger mechanism.