Solve Word Problem: 30 Persons in 4 Days = 40 Persons in x Days

In summary, 30 people can do a task in 4 days. But if there are 40 people working on the task then it will be completed in 5.33 days.
alijan kk
New poster has been reminded to fill out the Homework Help Template when starting a new thread in the Schoolwork forums
A task is completed by 30 persons in 4 days. In how many days, the same will be completed by 40 persons ?

My attempt:
(30/4)/1=(40/x)/1

(30 persons per 4 days per task=40 persons per x days per task)

Doing this way i found x= 5.33 day or 5 whole days .

is this correct way of doing this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
alijan kk said:
A task is completed by 30 persons in 4 days. In how many days, the same will be completed by 40 persons ?

My attempt:
(30/4)/1=(40/x)/1

Why would it take longer with more people working in it? Always sanity-check your answers to see if something doesn't look right...

BTW, I will move this to the schoolwork forums for you now.

alijan kk said:

My attempt:
(30/4)/1=(40/x)/1

What about if there is only 1 person? By your method, ##x = 4/30## days, which is about an hour!

Likes YoungPhysicist
You want to get it down to what each person is contributing. Then you can work with a different number of people.

alijan kk said:
A task is completed by 30 persons in 4 days.

So how much do those same 30 people do in 1 day? How much of the 4-day job is done after day 1?

Once you know that, how much does each person do in 1 day?

Try this!
Let’s say you alone can finish a task in two days. So if you get help from one of your friends, that task will be finished in only one day. How about four people working together? It would remain only (1/2)day. You see, the amount of days is reduced as the people increases. This case is opposite from your attempt.

As others have said, it doesn't seem logical that more people take more time to do the task. For these cases where a variable decreases when the other increases we say that they are inversely proportional.
Have a look at this functions, ##f(x) = \frac{6}{x}##, try increasing the values of ##x## and you will notice that ##f(x)## will decrease as you do so.
In your exercise, ##persons## and ##days## are inversely proportional which means that ##days=\frac{k}{persons}## where ##k## is a constant.
You already have two values, I let you do the rest ;)

The question is a constant-rates problem or exercise. Two parts in it. Descriptive part, and question part using different number of workers.

R=W/T
RATE of work is amount of work W divided by time T.
This can easily also be stated RT=W.

If all workers each work at the same rate, then R is the work rate for 1 worker, and for N workers, the algebraic formula is NRT=W.

Let's see how this goes:

The first sentence let's us say:
30r*4=1

The "1" is for those thirty persons doing ONE TASK.

The question, second sentence, let's us say:
40*r*x=1

r being the work rate of anyone person, x the number of days to do the ONE TASK.

You should be able to finish from there.

Related to Solve Word Problem: 30 Persons in 4 Days = 40 Persons in x Days

What is the word problem trying to solve?

The word problem is trying to find the number of days (x) it would take for 40 persons to complete a task that took 30 persons 4 days to complete.

What is the equation for this word problem?

The equation for this word problem is 30 persons x 4 days = 40 persons x number of days (x).

How can this word problem be solved?

This word problem can be solved by setting up and solving a proportion. 30 persons/4 days = 40 persons/x days. Cross-multiply and solve for x to find the number of days.

What is the solution to this word problem?

The solution to this word problem is that it would take 3 days for 40 persons to complete the task.

How can this word problem be applied in real life?

This word problem can be applied in real life situations where a certain number of people are needed to complete a task within a specific time frame. It can also be used to calculate the rate of work for a group of people.