Solve Vertical Circles Problem: Find Roller Coaster Speed

• Thread starter chmilne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circles
In summary, a passenger on a roller coaster feels a force twice their weight pushing them upward as they go through a dip with a vertical radius of 20.0 m. Using the equation Fc = (mv^2)/r, the roller coaster's speed at the bottom of the dip can be calculated to be 14 m/s. However, the correct answer to one significant digit is 10 m/s. Only two forces, F_N and W (mg), act on the passenger at the bottom of the coaster. The analysis in post #1 is correct and settling for one digit is not advisable.
chmilne
Here's the question.

A roller coaster at an amusement park has a dip that bottoms out in a vertical circle of radius r. A passenger feels the seat of the car pushing upward on her with a force equal to twice her weight as she goes through the dip. If r=20.0 m, how fast is the roller coaster traveling at the bottom of the dip?

I'm having some real troubles answering this problem. Thus far, here's
what I've come up with.

Fc = ( mv^2 ) / r
FN - 2mg = ( mv^2 ) / r
2mg - mg = ( mv^2 ) / r
(2mg - mg )(r) = ( mv^2 )
(2mg - mg )(r) = ( v^2 )
sqrt( (2mg - mg )(r) ) = v

sqrt( ( 19.6 - 9.8 m/s^2 )( 20.0m ) ) = v
14 m/s = v

I've been informed that 14 m/s is not the correct answer and that to one digit the correct answer is 10 m/s.

It seems to me that I have all the right pieces, but I may be missing something. Will someone help, please? Big thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Create a relationship at the bottom of the coaster. Draw a picture of all of the forces and find the resultant force.

These are the only forces I see:

UP: F_c, F_N
Down: W

Am I missing any?

CORRECTION:

UP: F_N
Down: W (mg)

What do you mean by F_N? The forces felt by the person at the bottom will be the centrifugal force (your F_c?) and the person weight, both downward.

chmilne said:
CORRECTION:

UP: F_N
Down: W (mg)
Correct. Those are the only forces acting on the person.

Your analysis--and answer--in post #1 seem correct to me. (It's also true that to one significant digit, 10 m/s is the answer--14 rounds off to 10. But why in the world would you settle for one digit?)

Thanks for the help.

There was something lost in translation when the professor told me 'to one digit.'

Thanks again.

Related to Solve Vertical Circles Problem: Find Roller Coaster Speed

What is the equation to solve for roller coaster speed in a vertical circle?

The equation to solve for roller coaster speed in a vertical circle is v = √(rg), where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

How do you determine the radius of the circle in a vertical roller coaster?

The radius of the circle in a vertical roller coaster can be determined by measuring the height of the highest point of the loop and using the formula r = (h/2) + (v²/2g), where r is the radius, h is the height, v is the initial velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the roller coaster speed in a vertical circle?

The roller coaster speed in a vertical circle is affected by the radius of the circle, the height of the loop, the initial velocity, and the acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the roller coaster and any friction or air resistance can also affect the speed.

Can the roller coaster speed in a vertical circle be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the roller coaster speed in a vertical circle can be greater than the initial velocity if the radius of the circle is small enough and the height of the loop is high enough. This is because the force of gravity will accelerate the roller coaster as it moves downward, increasing its speed.

What safety precautions should be taken when designing a roller coaster with vertical circles?

When designing a roller coaster with vertical circles, it is important to consider the maximum speed that the riders will experience and ensure that it does not exceed safety limits. The radius and height of the loops should also be carefully calculated to prevent any potential accidents. Regular maintenance and safety checks should also be conducted to ensure the roller coaster is in good working condition.