Solve Vehicle Physics Problem: Find Maximum Ground Speed with Headwind

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum ground speed of a vehicle on a mountain, taking into account factors such as horsepower, drag coefficient, and head wind. The first part of the problem is solved using formulas for coefficient power and drag coefficient, but the second part is still being worked on. The group suggests setting up an equation and using the headwind velocity to find the maximum velocity. The speaker also mentions that they have solved for velocity, but not for Vmax, and asks for guidance on what to set to zero and how to differentiate.
hallo
Hi,

A vehicle land on a mountain of 4400ft.The Engine delivers 400hp to the wheels and careful streamlining has resulted in a drag coefficient of 0.5,based on a 20ft^2 frontal area.Compute the maximum ground speed of the car in i)still air and ii)with a 20mph head wind

for part i)I have solve using coefficient power and drag coefficient formulas.However the part ii), I am haveing problem.

Pls help.
thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
If one solve part i, then part ii should be solvable.

With a head wind, the maximum vehicle velocity is reduced.

How does one solve for Vmax?

If one sets up an equation in V, then with a headwind try V+Vhead, where Vhead is the headwind velocity.

I have solve till Velocity but not V(max). my eqn is
Power= drag coeff * 1/2 * Area * density* velocity^3

to find V(max),what should I set to zero and then differentiate?? ??

Related to Solve Vehicle Physics Problem: Find Maximum Ground Speed with Headwind

1. What is a vehicle physics problem?

A vehicle physics problem refers to any issue or challenge related to the movement and mechanics of a vehicle. This could include problems with acceleration, braking, steering, or stability.

2. What causes vehicle physics problems?

There are a variety of factors that can contribute to vehicle physics problems. These can include design flaws, mechanical issues, external forces such as wind or road conditions, and even driver error.

3. How can vehicle physics problems be solved?

Solving vehicle physics problems typically involves a combination of troubleshooting and implementing modifications or repairs. This may require the use of specialized equipment and techniques, as well as input from engineers and other experts.

4. Can vehicle physics problems be prevented?

While some vehicle physics problems may be unavoidable, many can be prevented through regular maintenance and proper driving techniques. It is important to follow recommended maintenance schedules and to drive safely and responsibly to reduce the risk of experiencing these issues.

5. Are vehicle physics problems common?

Vehicle physics problems can vary in frequency depending on the type of vehicle and its intended use. However, they are not uncommon and can occur in both new and older vehicles. Regular maintenance and proper care can help reduce the likelihood of experiencing these issues.