Electromagnetic fields+voltage=hard homework

In summary, the question is about how voltage affects both the magnitude and power of the electromagnetic field. The equation for magnetic field strength is F = ILB. The more voltage, the higher the current and the power dissipated in the coil can be calculated using P = (V^2)/R.
Emmsey Square
Alright, I'm doing a project where I'm supposed to make an electromagnet, and then figure out how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field. Can anyone give me some good equations to use, or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field

Magnetic field strength is given by

[tex]F = ILB[/tex]

The obvious answer is that the more voltage you have, the higher the current in the line will be.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Emmsey Square
Alright, I'm doing a project where I'm supposed to make an electromagnet, and then figure out how the voltage affects both the magnitude and the power of the electromagnetic field. Can anyone give me some good equations to use, or something?

Is the question just about the strength of the magnetic field (magnitude), or is there a second thing? The "power" of a magnetic field doesn't make any sense.

THere would be the power dissipated in the coil of wire while it created the magnetic field: P=IV and V = IR put together give you P = (V^2)/R where R is the resistance in the wire.

Last edited:
Well, Voltage=CurrentxResistance. So, the more voltage you have, the more current there is. And the more current you have, the more "power" your magnetic field has.

1. What are electromagnetic fields?

Electromagnetic fields are a type of physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. These fields consist of both electric and magnetic components and can be found in various forms, such as radio waves, microwaves, and visible light.

2. How are electromagnetic fields measured?

Electromagnetic fields can be measured using instruments such as Gaussmeters or Radio Frequency (RF) meters. These instruments measure the strength and frequency of the field in a given area.

3. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is commonly measured in volts (V) and is used to determine the amount of energy that can be transferred between two points.

4. How do electromagnetic fields and voltage relate to each other?

Electromagnetic fields and voltage are closely related as voltage is the driving force behind the creation of electromagnetic fields. A change in voltage can result in a change in the strength and frequency of the electromagnetic field.

5. Why is homework involving electromagnetic fields and voltage considered difficult?

Homework involving electromagnetic fields and voltage can be challenging because it requires an understanding of complex concepts such as electricity, magnetism, and how they interact with each other. It also involves mathematical calculations and the use of scientific instruments, which can be intimidating for some students.