Solve Tricky Sequence: 1,2,3,4,5,8,7,16,9

• Thread starter Angthomas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the sequence is a pattern of positive integers where odd numbers remain unchanged and even numbers are replaced by powers of 2. This pattern continues with the next 6 terms being 32, 11, 64, 13, 128, 15.
Angthomas
The sequence is 1,2,3,4,5,8,7,16,9

I am absolutely stumped and cannot fathom the answer. Normally I can see the logic, can anyone help with the rule?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Angthomas said:
The sequence is 1,2,3,4,5,8,7,16,9

I am absolutely stumped and cannot fathom the answer. Normally I can see the logic, can anyone help with the rule?

Thank you

Can you provide more terms? :smile:

Alright, here's my guess...the next 6 terms are 32, 11, 64, 13, 128, 15

The sequence is the positive integers. The odd numbers remain unchanged, the even numbers are replaced by powers of 2

2 is replaced by 2^1

4 is replaced by 2^2

6 is replaced by 2^3

8 is replaced by 2^4 You get the idea? :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Solve Tricky Sequence: 1,2,3,4,5,8,7,16,9

1. What is the pattern in the sequence?

The pattern in the sequence is that the first five numbers increase by 1 each time, then the next two numbers are reversed, and the following two numbers are multiplied by 2.

2. What is the next number in the sequence?

The next number in the sequence would be 18. After 16, the pattern continues with the next number being multiplied by 2, so 9 x 2 = 18.

3. How do you know the pattern will continue?

We know the pattern will continue because it has been consistent for the first 9 numbers in the sequence. Additionally, there is a clear rule for how each number is obtained, making it likely that the pattern will continue.

4. Are there other ways to solve this sequence?

Yes, there may be other ways to solve this sequence. Some people may see different patterns or use different mathematical operations to obtain the next number. However, the most common and logical way to solve this sequence is by following the pattern described above.

5. What is the practical application of solving this sequence?

Solving sequences like this can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills. In addition, it can be helpful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and engineering, where recognizing patterns and predicting future values is important.