Solve Tough Thermo Problem: Find Final Pressure of Helium

• Thread starter ashy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermo
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving gaseous helium in a rigid container. The initial conditions are given, including the volume, pressure, and work done on the gas in an adiabatic process. The constant volume heat capacity (cv) of the gas is also provided. However, there is no given mass or number of moles, making the problem underdetermined. The ideal gas law is suggested as a relevant equation, and it is possible to solve the problem by assuming a value for the number of moles and using the ideal gas law and cv to find the change in temperature. The final pressure can then be calculated using the ideal gas law.
ashy

Homework Statement

Gaseous helium is contained in a rigid container with a volume of V=0.5 m3, and is initially at a pressure of 500 kPa. Agitation by a stirrer transfers 250 kJ of work to the gas in an adiabatic process. Cv for the gas is constant and equal to 12.46 kJ/kmol*K. What is the final pressure of the gas?
So
At state 1: V=0.5 m3, P=500 kPa,
Process 1->2: W=-250kJ
At state 2: V=0.5 m3, P=?

cv=12.46kJ/kmol*K

Homework Equations

Energy balance for the process:
Q-W=deltaU+deltaKE+deltaPE
Q=deltaPE=deltaKE=0 so
-W=deltaU, W=-250kJ so
250kJ=deltaU.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have:
250kJ=deltaU=n*deltau where u=U/n and n is the number of moles of helium.
cv=du/dT so
deltau=cv*deltaT and
250 kJ=n*cv*deltaT

I don't really know where to go with this problem to find anything to do with the pressure, the equation seems underdetermined. Help?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Has mass been given? Or is the given volume specific as in m3/kg?

No, no mass is given and the the volume given is not specific, it is just the volume of the tank.

What about the number of moles? It's impossible to predict the temperatures without the mass or moles therefore you won't be able to predict the final pressure.

no, the data given is the only available data. this is why I thought it was underdetermined. Can it even be done?

You may want to throw the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, into your set of Relevant Equations. Note that ##C_v## is specified in terms of moles, and n in the ideal gas law is moles. Set up a ratio and ponder on what you know about the various variables:

$$\frac{P V}{P_o V_o} = \frac{n R T }{n R T_o}$$

This problem is unsolvable unless either the mass, no. of moles or initial temperature are given.

You could proceed assuming initial temperature = room temperature ~ 293K.

I think it may be doable. Just assume that the number of moles is n and see where things go using the ideal gas law and Cv to find the change in temperature given the change in heat. I think that the n will cancel out along the way.

gneill said:
I think it may be doable. Just assume that the number of moles is n and see where things go using the ideal gas law and Cv to find the change in temperature given the change in heat. I think that the n will cancel out along the way.

Send me a PM on how?
rude man

gneill is right. It is solvable.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Send me a PM on how?
Done. Check your mail (inbox).

@ashy : Did you resolve your difficulty?

Related to Solve Tough Thermo Problem: Find Final Pressure of Helium

1. What is the formula for solving a tough thermo problem?

The formula for solving a tough thermo problem is P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P stands for pressure, V stands for volume, and T stands for temperature.

2. How do you find the final pressure of a gas in a tough thermo problem?

To find the final pressure of a gas in a tough thermo problem, you need to know the initial pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas, as well as the final volume and temperature. Then, you can plug these values into the formula P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 and solve for P2, which represents the final pressure.

3. Can you solve a tough thermo problem without knowing the initial pressure?

No, in order to solve a tough thermo problem, you need to know the initial pressure of the gas. Without this information, you cannot accurately calculate the final pressure using the formula P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2.

4. What units should be used when solving a tough thermo problem?

When solving a tough thermo problem, it is important to use consistent units for pressure, volume, and temperature. The most common units used are Pascals (Pa) for pressure, cubic meters (m3) for volume, and Kelvin (K) for temperature.

5. How do you know if your answer is correct when solving a tough thermo problem?

To check if your answer is correct when solving a tough thermo problem, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the final pressure and compare it to the value you obtained using the formula P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. If the values are the same, then your answer is likely correct.