Solve Titrimetric Analysis: EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution

• Thread starter ricky912
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about a titration experiment using EDTA and an alloy solution. The goal is to find the moles of EDTA and zinc in both a 10 mL aliquot and a 250.0 mL sample. The initial steps of finding the moles of EDTA have been completed, but the person needs help with the rest of the calculation. A helpful resource for titration calculations has been suggested.
ricky912

Homework Statement

Hello, please help me with this problem.

I've titrated EDTA 0.0100 M into a 10.0 mL aliquot of an alloy solution. My entire alloy same is 250.0 mL.

The EDTA reacted with zinc in a 1:1 ratio, and my best volume is 11.30 mL.

I need to find the moles of EDTA, which I believe I've found.
The moles of zinc in my 10 mL aliquot.
And the total moles of zinc in my 250.0 mL sample.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've found my moles of EDTA in my 11.30 mL.

11.30 ml (1L/1000 mL) = 0.0113 L/EDTA

0.0113 L/EDTA (0.0100 mole/L) = 0.000113 moles of EDTA

After that I'm stuck. Please help me out.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Solve Titrimetric Analysis: EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution

1. What is Titrimetric Analysis?

Titrimetric Analysis is a quantitative method used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a specific substance in a sample. It involves adding a known reagent to the sample until a chemical reaction occurs, and the equivalence point is reached, allowing for the calculation of the sample's concentration.

2. How does Titrimetric Analysis work for EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution?

In the case of EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution, the EDTA (Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) acts as the titrant, and the zinc ions in the alloy solution are the analyte. The EDTA forms a complex with the zinc ions, and the endpoint of the titration is determined using a color indicator or potentiometrically (measuring changes in electrical potential).

3. Why is EDTA used in Titrimetric Analysis for Zinc in Alloy Solution?

EDTA is used because it forms a stable, 1:1 complex with zinc ions. This allows for accurate and precise determination of the zinc concentration in the alloy solution. EDTA is also a chelating agent, meaning it can form multiple bonds with metal ions, making it ideal for titrations involving metal ions.

4. What are the steps involved in performing Titrimetric Analysis for EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution?

The first step is to prepare the sample by dissolving the alloy in an appropriate solvent. Next, a known volume of the sample is transferred to a flask and mixed with a buffer solution and an indicator. The EDTA titrant is then added slowly until the endpoint is reached, and the volume of EDTA used is recorded. This process is repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy. Finally, the concentration of zinc in the sample is calculated using the titration results.

5. What are some sources of error in Titrimetric Analysis for EDTA & Zinc in Alloy Solution?

Some sources of error include using an incorrect concentration of EDTA or titrant, improper mixing of the sample, and using an inaccurate or expired indicator. It is also essential to ensure that the endpoint is accurately determined, as small changes can significantly affect the results. Proper calibration and technique are crucial in minimizing errors in Titrimetric Analysis.