Solve this differential equation for the curve & tangent diagram

In summary, the given differential equation, xdy/dx = 2y, can be solved using the midpoint formula to find the point M, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T on the x-axis. By labeling points P, T, and M in the simplest way possible and recognizing that the slope of the tangent line is dy/dx, the differential equation can be simplified to only two lines.
so_gr_lo
Homework Statement
Hi,
I have included an attachment of the question about differential equations. I found a similar question and solution on this website:

https://doubtnut.com/question-answer/a-tangent-at-a-point-p-on-the-curve-cuts-the-x-axis-at-a-and-b-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330
Relevant Equations
Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y
Here is my attempt at a solution:

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?
259E39C1-8D4D-4744-A50A-3E405B0EC5DE.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so_gr_lo said:
Homework Statement:: Hi,
I have included an attachment of the question about differential equations. I found a similar question and solution on this website:

https://doubtnut.com/question-answe...-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330
Relevant Equations:: Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?
Hello, @so_gr_lo .

:welcome:

Notice that xp = 2 xm .

Also, xp and yp are the same as x and y, the coordinates of the general point, P .

I have no idea of what the statement regarding points A and B could possibly mean.

Full size image:
259e39c1-8d4d-4744-a50a-3e405b0ec5de-png.png

The equation for the tangent line is:

$$y - y_n = m(x - x_n)$$

##m = \frac{dy}{dx}## is the slope, and ##P_n = (x_n, y_n)## is the point. Also note the midpoint formula:

$$(x_n, y_n) = (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}, \frac{y_L + y_H}{2})$$
$$(x_n, 0) = (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}, 0)$$

You know ##y_n = 0 \Rightarrow y = \frac{dy}{dx} (x - x_n)## because the midpoint is always on the x-axis for any point ##P_n##. Now ##x_n = \frac{x_L + x_H}{2} \Rightarrow##

$$y + \frac{dy}{dx} (\frac{x_L + x_H}{2}) = \frac{dy}{dx} x$$

What do you know about ##x_L##, and ##x_H##?

Last edited:
x1 = 1/2x2

or

x2 = 1/2x1
I have tried substituting these into y + dy/dx(x1 + x2) = dy/dxx

but can’t see how that helps, I also don’t know how to get rid of on of the dy/dx to turn it into the required differential equation.

so_gr_lo said:
Homework Statement:: Hi,

https://doubtnut.com/question-answe...-is-the-foot-of-perpendicular-from-p-o-262330
Relevant Equations:: Given differential equation:
xdy/dx = 2y

y = f(x)

yp - ym = dy/dx(xp-xm)

ym = 0

yp = dy/dx(xp-xm)

xm=ypdy/dx + xm

xm is midpoint of OT

xm = (ypdy/dx + xm) /2

Not sure where to go from there because the solution from the link uses with the midpoint of the points A and B intersecting the x-axis, whereas the assignment question concerns the points M and T on the x-axis, where M is the midpoint between the origin and T. Can anybody give any clues?View attachment 265378
As @SammyS pointed out, you don't need subscripted variables, and the hint given by @STEMucator is much more complicated than is needed. You don't really need either the point-slope form of a line or the midpoint formula.
The proof can be done in two lines, if you assign coordinates to points T and M, and recognize that the derivative dydx gives the slope of the tangent line.

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi
so_gr_lo said:
x1 = 1/2x2

or

x2 = 1/2x1
I have tried substituting these into y + dy/dx(x1 + x2) = dy/dxx

but can’t see how that helps, I also don’t know how to get rid of on of the dy/dx to turn it into the required differential equation.

I would double check your math, but please review my prior post. I feel my notation was somewhat unclear before, and maybe the information will help.

Given ##x_L = 0##, and ##x_H = T##, can you create a standard differential equation that you can compute using this hint?

STEMucator said:
I would double check your math, but please review my prior post. I feel my notation was somewhat unclear before, and maybe the information will help.
Your notation was clear enough, but extraneous information such as the point-slope form of the equation of a line and the midpoint formula are overcomplications that are not helpful.

As I said before, all that is needed is to label points P, T, and M in the simplest way possible, and recognize that the slope of the tangent line is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##. When this is done, finding the differential equation requires only two lines.

Likes etotheipi
So I think this is the way to do it:

y - yM = dy/dx(x - xM)

yM = 0

y = dy/dx(x - xM)

xM = 1/2x

y = dy/dx(1/2x)

xdy/dx = 2y

Thanks for the help, since the question had 10 marks I assumed the answer was complicated and got confused by the solution in the link.

Likes Delta2
Or more simply, the gradient of the tangent line is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##, and that equals the rise over run of that triangle, ##\frac{y}{\frac{x}{2}}##. Namely, ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{2y}{x}##.

I agree with the solution provided by Mark, and eto.

I was providing a hint that related with the link the OP provided.

Ok, I will use the solution given by Mark and eto. Thanks again for the help.

so_gr_lo said:
So I think this is the way to do it:

y - yM = dy/dx(x - xM)
yM = 0
y = dy/dx(x - xM)
xM = 1/2x
y = dy/dx(1/2x)
I know what you mean, but that's not what you wrote.
1/2x means ##\frac 1 2 x##, because multiplication and division have the same precedence, and are grouped from left to right. That means that 1/2x is considered to mean (1/2)x, not 1/(2x) as you intended.
To indicate that 2x is in the denominator in both equations above, use parentheses around 2x, like this:
xM = 1/(2x)
y = dy/dx(1/(2x))
so_gr_lo said:
xdy/dx = 2y

Thanks for the help, since the question had 10 marks I assumed the answer was complicated and got confused by the solution in the link.

Likes SammyS

Related to Solve this differential equation for the curve & tangent diagram

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Generally, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to find a solution.

3. What is a curve and tangent diagram?

A curve and tangent diagram is a graphical representation of a differential equation and its solution. The curve represents the function, while the tangent lines represent the slope of the function at different points.

4. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation for the curve and tangent diagram?

Solving a differential equation for the curve and tangent diagram helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It also allows us to make predictions about the function's future values.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and predict various phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.