Solve Thevinin Voltage with Dependent Sources - Thvenin Northon

• Thread starter erezb84
  • Start date
In summary, to find the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b with dependent sources, one can put a fixed current source at a-b and use the usual analysis methods to find the voltage V. The Thevenin resistance will be V/I, and the Thevenin voltage can then be calculated from the Thevenin resistance, output voltage V, and current I. This approach should work in all cases, but it may not be applicable if the circuit consists of a mix of independent and dependent sources.
erezb84
Suppose i want to find the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b,
but there are dependent sources in my circuit that depend on the current between points a and b, how should i work?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
erezb84 said:
Suppose i want to find the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b,
but there are dependent sources in my circuit that depend on the current between points a and b, how should i work?

Thanks!

Put your own fixed current source, I, at a-b and use the usual analysis methods to find the voltage V that this current source must have across it while connected to the circuit. Thevenin resistance will then be V/I. Since you now know the Thevenin resistance, the output voltage V and current I, you can work out the Thevenin voltage that sits "behind" the Thevenin resistance to produce V.

gneill said:
Put your own fixed current source, I, at a-b and use the usual analysis methods to find the voltage V that this current source must have across it while connected to the circuit. Thevenin resistance will then be V/I. Since you now know the Thevenin resistance, the output voltage V and current I, you can work out the Thevenin voltage that sits "behind" the Thevenin resistance to produce V.

I can't quite remember, but this approach only works if the circuit consists of only dependent sources. (i.e. not a mix of independent/dependent)

Correct?

jegues said:
I can't quite remember, but this approach only works if the circuit consists of only dependent sources. (i.e. not a mix of independent/dependent)

Correct?
I would think that it would work in all cases (superposition theorem), but I am willing to be corrected. Can you give an example where it would not work?

To solve for Thevinin Voltage with dependent sources, we must first understand that Thevinin's theorem states that any linear circuit can be replaced by an equivalent circuit containing a single voltage source and a single resistor. This means that we can simplify our circuit by replacing all independent sources with their internal resistance and all dependent sources with their equivalent independent sources.

To find the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b, we can follow these steps:

1. Replace all independent sources with their internal resistance.
2. Replace all dependent sources with their equivalent independent sources, which can be found by solving for the current between points a and b.
3. Once all sources have been replaced, we can find the Thevinin Voltage by using the voltage divider rule. This involves finding the total resistance between points a and b and then calculating the voltage across this resistance using Ohm's Law.
4. The resulting voltage is the Thevinin Voltage equivalent between points a and b.

In summary, to find the Thevinin Voltage with dependent sources, we need to replace all sources with their equivalent sources and then use the voltage divider rule to calculate the Thevinin Voltage. This approach simplifies the circuit and allows us to find the Thevinin Voltage without being affected by the presence of dependent sources.

Related to Solve Thevinin Voltage with Dependent Sources - Thvenin Northon

1. What is Thevinin's Theorem?

Thevinin's Theorem is a method used to simplify complex electrical circuits into an equivalent circuit with a single voltage source and a single resistor. This allows for easier analysis of the circuit and can be useful in many practical applications.

2. How do you find the Thevinin voltage of a circuit?

To find the Thevinin voltage, you must first remove all load components from the circuit and determine the open-circuit voltage. This is the Thevinin voltage, which is the voltage that would be measured across the load if it were connected to the circuit.

3. What are dependent sources in a circuit?

Dependent sources are elements in a circuit that are controlled by an external signal or another circuit parameter. They can be either voltage-dependent or current-dependent and can have a significant impact on the overall behavior of the circuit.

4. Can Thevinin's Theorem be used with dependent sources?

Yes, Thevinin's Theorem can be used with dependent sources. However, the process of finding the Thevinin voltage and resistance may be more complex as it involves incorporating the dependent sources into the equivalent circuit.

5. What is the difference between Thevinin and Norton equivalent circuits?

Thevinin and Norton equivalent circuits are both simplification techniques used to analyze complex circuits. The main difference is that Thevinin equivalent circuits use a voltage source and a series resistor, while Norton equivalent circuits use a current source and a parallel resistor. Both methods provide the same results, but one may be more useful depending on the circuit being analyzed.