Solve the ODE with initial condition:

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an ODE with an initial condition and the disagreement between the answer key and the individual's solution. The individual's solution is incorrect due to a mistake in using the product rule. The expert advises to use the homework section for any future difficulties.
joker2014
y''-10y'+25=0

Solve the ODE with initial condition:

y(0) = 0,

y' (1) = 12e^5 .

I keep getting y=12/5e^5x when c1=0 and c2=12/5 ... but Answer key says y=2xe^5x

what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
We have to see what you're doing to know what you're doing wrong.

axmls said:
We have to see what you're doing to know what you're doing wrong.
I solved it and got general solution of y=c1e^5x+c2xe5x and the derivative is y'=c1(5e^5x)+c2(5xe^5x)
for y(0)=0 i found that c1=0
in y'(1)=12e^5 i found that c2=12/5

which then gives final solution of y=(12/5)e^5x

You need to use the product rule on the second term: [tex](x e^{5x})' = x' e^{5x} + x (e^{5x})' = e^{5x} + 5x e^{5x}.[/tex]

Also, as a side note, it's advised that you use the homework section for any difficulties you're having in homework next time you have a question.

Likes joker2014
axmls said:
You need to use the product rule on the second term: [tex](x e^{5x})' = x' e^{5x} + x (e^{5x})' = e^{5x} + 5x e^{5x}.[/tex]

Also, as a side note, it's advised that you use the homework section for any difficulties you're having in homework next time you have a question.
Ohmygodd! You are right I did a silly mistake!

This isn't homework, only studying for exam. But i thinkyes better to ask there.

Thank you

Related to Solve the ODE with initial condition:

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and one or more dependent variables.

2. What does it mean to "solve" an ODE?

Solving an ODE means finding the function that satisfies the equation, as well as any given initial conditions. In other words, it is finding the relationship between the dependent and independent variables that satisfies the equation.

3. What is an initial condition?

An initial condition is the value of the dependent variable at a specific point in the independent variable. It is often denoted as y(0), where 0 is the initial value of the independent variable.

4. How do you solve an ODE with initial condition?

To solve an ODE with initial condition, you first need to determine the type of ODE and its order. Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to find the general solution. Finally, you can use the initial condition to find the specific solution that satisfies the given condition.

5. Why is solving ODEs important?

Solving ODEs is important in many fields of science and engineering. It allows us to model and understand real-world phenomena, such as the motion of objects, growth of populations, and chemical reactions. ODEs also play a crucial role in developing mathematical models for predicting and analyzing complex systems.