What is the probability of drawing a black marble in this puzzle?

• Thread starter 12345
  • Start date
In summary: Hey, is that the answer?" he asks. "Yeah," you reply, "but it's more work than the answer on the paper." njorl nods and walks back out.In summary, the student is trying to figure out the answer to a simple puzzle and is assisted by another student. The probability of the answer being black is 3/6.
a puzzle------can you solve it?

Ye've lost yer marbles
Puzzle by mathgrant
It has been a long year at Puzzlania Academy, and the sweet smell of spring (and graduation) is in the air. Ah, how wonderful life is. Unfortunately for you, there's one little thing left before you can savour the aroma of graduation : the Puzzlania Ordinary Level Examinations. Rumour has it that your examiner this year is none other than Dr. M. Grant, the famous mathematician.

As you enter the dimly-lit examination room for the first time, you are unsurprised to see Dr. Grant sitting behind an old desk.

"I assume you are familiar with the format of your POLEs?" he asks. You nod. "There will be seven exams this year. You will have as much time as you'd like to write each one." He gestures toward a table with a pencil and piece of paper on it. "You may begin."

You sit down at the table and begin reading the paper. There is only one question written on it, and it seems rather simple.

I have 729 black marbles and 243 white marbles. I will draw one at random and discard it into a fiery pit. I will then keep drawing more random marbles and discarding them until one doesn't match the previous one. That marble will not be discarded, but put back in the bag. The marbles will be reshuffled and the process will start over.

Example:
I draw a black marble and discard it.
I draw another black marble and discard it.
I draw a white marble and shuffle it back into the bag.
I draw a black marble and discard it.
I draw a white marble and shuffle it back into the bag.
I draw a white marble and discard it.
I draw another white marble and discard it.
I draw another white marble and discard it.
I draw a black marble and shuffle it back into the bag.

After a little while, eventually only one marble is left. What is the probability of it being black?

"This is easy," you exclaim, "the answer is..."

Physics news on Phys.org
i came to the answer 50/50...can you help me?

Looking at the simple case of 2 black marbles and one white yields a 50/50 chance.

Possible orderings *denotes returned marble

1. w b* b
2. b w* w
3. b w* b
4. b b

case 1. is 2/6 probable and leaves a black
case 2. is 1/6 probable and leaves a black
case 3. is 1/6 probable and leaves a white
case 4. is 2/6 probable and leaves a white

3/6 probabilty that either is left.

Generallizing it is more work, but I suspect that it is indeed 50/50 as long as there is at least one of each.

Njorl

1. Can you explain the concept of a puzzle?

A puzzle is a type of problem or game that requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve. It typically involves a set of pieces or elements that need to be arranged or manipulated in a specific way to reveal a solution or pattern.

2. What are the different types of puzzles?

There are many different types of puzzles, including jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, word puzzles, logic puzzles, and riddles. Each type of puzzle has its own unique set of rules and challenges.

3. Why are puzzles good for the brain?

Solving puzzles has been shown to have numerous cognitive benefits, such as improving memory, problem-solving skills, and critical thinking abilities. It can also help with hand-eye coordination and boost creativity.

4. How do you approach solving a puzzle?

There is no one right way to solve a puzzle, but some common strategies include breaking the puzzle into smaller parts, trying different combinations, and using logic and reasoning to eliminate possibilities. It's also helpful to take breaks and come back to the puzzle with a fresh perspective.

5. Are there any tips for solving difficult puzzles?

Yes, some tips for solving difficult puzzles include starting with the edges or corners, looking for patterns, and trying to visualize the end result. It can also be helpful to work with others or refer to online resources for hints or assistance.