Solve the Mistake: Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary: The cosine function would work the same way as the sine function, just that the particle goes from x=-3 to x=4 instead of x=4 to x=-3.
zorro

Homework Statement

A particle executes simple harmonic motion along a straight line with mean position at x=0, period 20s and amplitude 5cm. The (shortest) time in seconds taken by the particle to got from x=4cm to x=-3cm is?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the equation be x=Asin(wt+Φ)

At t=0, let x=4 so that sinΦ=4/5
At t=t, putting x=-3 we get wt=sin-1(-3/5) - sin-1(4/5)

Solving for t we get t=-5s

Where is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:

Homework Statement

A particle executes simple harmonic motion along a straight line with mean position at x=0, period 20s and amplitude 5cm. The (shortest) time in seconds taken by the particle to go from x=4cm to x=-3cm is?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the equation be x=Asin(wt+Φ)

At t=0, let x=4 so that sinΦ=4/5
At t=t, putting x=-3 we get wt=sin-1(-3/5) - sin-1(4/5)

Solving for t we get t=-5s

Where is my mistake?
Are you troubled by the time being negative, or by some other aspect of your solution?

If it takes -5s for the particle to go from x=4cm to x=-3cm, then it takes 5s for the particle to go from x=-3cm to x=4cm.

Starting at t=0, the particle goes from x=4 to x=5 to x=4 to x=0 to x=-3 to x=-5 to x=-3 to x=0 to x=4 to ... You want the time it takes to go from x=4 (the second time it's at x=4, highlighted) to x=-3 (also highlighted)

You have chosen Φ so that at t=0, the particle is at x = 4. It looks like you have implicitly taken Φ = sin-1(4/5). This assumes that v is positive at t=0.

If Φ is chosen so that at t=0, the particle is at x = 4, but v is negative, then Φ = π - sin-1(4/5).

Added in Edit:
(This is my (210)th post on the PF site.)

Last edited:
Remember that sinΦ=a has two solutions between 0 and 2pi.

ehild

SammyS said:
Are you troubled by the time being negative?

Yes.

SammyS said:
You have chosen Φ so that at t=0, the particle is at x = 4. It looks like you have implicitly taken Φ = sin-1(4/5). This assumes that v is positive at t=0.

How?
Are you trying to say that my equation should be x=Asin(wt-Φ)?

See attached picture. What is the shortest time to get from x=4 to x=-3?

ehild

Attachments

• SHM.jpg
    SHM.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 450
0.012s

Is this the solution of your problem?

ehild

No it is not.

The equation is x = Asin(ωt + φ)
Two equations for to positions are
4 = 5*sin(ωt1 + φ), the angle lies between π/2 and π.
-3 = 5*sin(ωt2 + φ), the angle lies between π and 3π/2.
Now can you find t1 - t2?

I don't want to get into the trouble of finding t1-t2. I want to find out 't' directly by choosing a proper equation.

Have a look at the attached diagram showing the relevant angles on a 'unit circle' scaled to 5cm. The linear motion of the problem is the projection onto the y-axis of a radius vector going counterclockwise around the circle with a 20 second period.

You're looking for the shortest time between +4 and -3, which corresponds to the points t1 and t2 on the diagram. The problem is, when you use the arcsin function it returns 'principal angles' that lie in the first or fourth quadrant. That is, it gives θ1 and θ2 rather than φ1 and φ2.

No problem though! By symmetry, the time from points t1 to t2 is the same as the time from points a to b. So your desired formula becomes:

ΔT = (arcsin(4/5) - arcsin(-3/5))*(20s/2π)

Attachments

• circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 334
Abdul Quadeer said:
I don't want to get into the trouble of finding t1-t2. I want to find out 't' directly by choosing a proper equation.
Then find a proper phase constant, an angle which sine is 0.8. But there are two such angles between 0 and 2pi, as you can see in my picture, as sin(φ)=sin(π-φ). You can place t=0 at both of them, and also you can find two angles which sine is -0.3. So you have to calculate the time with both phase constants and choose the shortest.
My way is to choose zero phase constant and find the phases both at x=0.8 and x=-0.3. As time goes forward, all of them have to be positive.

ehild

I misread the problem in my former post, and took the frequency equal to 20, instead of the time period. I replaced the picture with the correct one (I hope!)

ehild

Attachments

• SHM.jpg
    SHM.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 407
Reading the last 3 posts, I understood something. This is my analysis of the question-

1. Using sine function (which is a bit confusing)

x=Asin(wt+φ)
at t=0, sinφ=4/5
But the particle goes from 4 to 5 then comes back. So we have to consider another solution of the equation
i.e. sin(π-φ)=4/5 so that the particle travels from x=4 to x=-3
φ=π-sin-1(4/5)

-3=5sin(wt+φ)
sin(π+wt+φ)=3/5
wt=sin-1(3/5)-π-φ

on solving t=+5s

2. Using cosine function (easier way)

x=5cos(wt+φ)
φ=cos-1(4/5)

-3=5cos(wt+φ)
wt=cos-1(-3/5)-φ=π-cos-1(3/5)-cos-1(4/5)

Again t=+5s.

I don't understand one thing, why there is no need to consider other solutions with cosine function?

Last edited:
Yes, but using the using the sin function helped you to understand some of the possible difficulties you can run into with this type of problem.

I was waiting for you to get your answer with the sin function, before mentioning that the cos function would give the answer immediately -- but not the understanding.

Good Job !

I don't understand one thing, why there is no need to consider other solutions with cosine function?
Because the cosine function starts from the extreme position of the oscillation.So in a single swing particle goes from +4 cm to - 3 cm. Hence the solution is simple.
Phase is the initial position of the oscillating particle when you start your observation. In the problem, it is not given whether the particle is going towards or away from the equilibrium position. But the time taken by the particle is minimum when the particles moves directly from 4 cm to -3 cm.

Related to Solve the Mistake: Simple Harmonic Motion

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. It follows a sinusoidal pattern and is characterized by a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x = A sin(ωt + ϕ), where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and ϕ is the phase constant.

3. How do you solve for the period of simple harmonic motion?

The period of simple harmonic motion is the time it takes for one complete cycle. It can be calculated using the equation T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and damped harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of ideal motion where there is no external force acting on the object, while damped harmonic motion is when there is an external force, such as friction, that causes the amplitude of the motion to decrease over time.

5. How is simple harmonic motion used in real-life applications?

Simple harmonic motion is used in many real-life applications, such as in pendulum clocks, springs in car suspensions, and musical instruments. It is also used in engineering to design structures that can withstand vibrations and earthquakes.