Taking things apart for info doesn't work anymore

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: I'll have to remember that one.In summary, the speaker used to be able to disassemble household appliances to figure out how they worked, but technology has surpassed them. They recently bought an Xbox and found two anti-theft devices inside one of the games. One is a paper thin sticker and the other is a black plastic rectangular box with metal strips inside. The speaker is curious about how these devices work and would like to know simply for the sake of knowledge.
tribdog
I used to be able to take a screwdriver and disassemble household appliances to figure out how they worked. It served me well in the past, but technology has passed me by. I recently bought an XBox (no I didn't take it apart, yet). Inside one of the games there are two anti-theft devices, you know the kind, they set off the alarms if you try to take them out of the store without paying. One of them is a paper thin sticker, about 1 1/2" square. Looks like a printed circuit. the second is a black plastic rectangular box about 2" x .25" x .1" which, when cut open has some thin metal strips inside. How do these things work? I sort of understood the ones that had to be demagnetized by a clerk before you could take it out of the store, but these apparently don't have to be. I'd like to know how they work simply because I don't like not knowing something. If you don't know the answer just give me something that sounds intelligent so I can repeat it and look smart if anyone ever asks me how these things work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mildly amusing, if not entertaining story:

My mom once tried to check out a DVD from the public library. When she opened it up to throw it into the DVD player, she noticed that there were two nice little magnetic strips slapped on it. They were placed opportunely enough that the DVD would play only 5 minutes before dying a horrible death.

Moral of the story: The local librarians don't know how they work either.

cookiemonster

http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/rfid/

:smile: I just like how you said it

1. Why doesn't taking things apart for information work anymore?

Taking things apart for information may not work anymore because technology has advanced to the point where many devices and systems are complex and difficult to fully understand just by physically disassembling them. Additionally, many manufacturers use proprietary components and software that are not easily accessible to the public.

2. Can't I just Google the information I need instead of taking things apart?

In some cases, yes, you may be able to find the information you need online. However, not all information is readily available online, especially if it pertains to proprietary technology or trade secrets. Taking things apart can still be a valuable way to gain knowledge about a device or system.

3. Are there any other methods for obtaining information besides taking things apart?

Yes, there are other methods for obtaining information about a device or system. These may include researching patents, reading technical manuals, and conducting experiments or tests. It may also be helpful to consult with experts in the field or reach out to the manufacturer for information.

4. Is it ever necessary to take things apart for information?

Yes, there are situations where taking things apart is necessary for obtaining information. For example, if a device is malfunctioning and the cause is not apparent, disassembling it may be the only way to identify the problem. Additionally, some research and development processes require disassembly to fully understand the inner workings of a device or system.

5. How can I ensure I am not damaging the device or system while taking it apart?

If you are not experienced in taking things apart, it is best to avoid doing so unless necessary. If you do need to disassemble a device or system, it is important to follow proper procedures and use the correct tools. It may also be helpful to have a diagram or manual to reference. If you are unsure, it is always best to consult with an expert or seek guidance from the manufacturer.