Solve Superman Problem: Stop Train in <1 hr

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Superman
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the speed and time needed for Superman to stop a train using the given information, including the passenger's average horizontal force and the train's mass and velocity. The main mistake made was mixing up units, leading to an incorrect answer.
SnowOwl18
I'm back once more because of another problem that is driving me nuts. I've been trying to do this one for a long time. I'm posting the previous problem because it has relevant information and then bold typing the problem I'm confused on.

----Find the speed at which Superman (mass = 79 kg) must fly into a train (mass = 16351 kg) traveling at 80 km/hr to stop it. Calculate the time it takes Superman to stop the train, if the passengers experience an average horizontal force of 0.55 times their own weight. ------

And the hint they give for the problem is: Hint: The average horizontal force tells you the maximum acceleration of a passenger. With the change in speed in a given time, you can find the acceleration. Careful with units. Be sure to differentiate between weight and mass.

Ok...so I need to find the time it takes for Superman to stop the train. What I did was find the weight of the train...16351 kg x 9.8 m/s^2...and then multiplied that answer by 0.55 to the get the horizontal force, which I calculated to be 88131.89 N. I know that F=ma...so 88131.89 N = 16531 x A.
Acceleration is the change in velocity over the change in time. So I solved for A and got 5.33 m/s^2...the change in velocity is 1.66E+04 km/hr (which I found in the previous problem) - 80 km/hr = 16520 km/hr...
So 5.33 = 16520/T (change in time)...and I get 3099.44 s or hr...that I'm not sure of. Either way, the answer is wrong and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
If anyone can make any sense of what I wrote and see what I did wrong, I'd be grateful to know. Thanks so much. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
SnowOwl18 said:
So I solved for A and got 5.33 m/s^2...the change in velocity is 1.66E+04 km/hr (which I found in the previous problem) - 80 km/hr = 16520 km/hr...
So 5.33 = 16520/T (change in time)...and I get 3099.44 s or hr...that I'm not sure of. Either way, the answer is wrong and I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

The change of velocity for the train is -80 km/h as it stops (v2=0, v1=80 km/h).
The value you got for the deceleration is a bit inaccurate because of the rounding errors of the lot of unnecessary calculation steps you performed.
The horizontal force is 0.55*mg, so the deceleration is

[tex] -a= \frac{0.55 m*g}{m} = 0.55 g= 5.39 \mbox{ m/s2. }[/tex].

At the end, you mixed units when calculating the time. The unit of the acceleration is m/s^2, you get the correct time from the relation t=(v2-v1)/a only if you use m/s for the velocity. (Or km/h^2 for the acceleration) You were confused about the unit of the result you got. The best way to avoid confusion is to include the units in the formulas you use. 80 km/h= 80 * (1000 m) / (3600 s) = 22.22 m/s, and
[tex]t= \frac{22.22 m/s} {5.39 m/s^2} = 4.12 \frac{m/s}{m/s^2}=4.12\frac {ms^2}{ms}=4.12\mbox{ s. }[/tex]

ehild

Ohhh...yes, I knew I had messed up my units somehow, but it was escaping me. Thank you sooo much...that makes so much more sense! :eek:)

Related to Solve Superman Problem: Stop Train in <1 hr

1. How can Superman stop a train in less than 1 hour?

Superman can use his super strength to physically stop the train or he can use his super speed to quickly remove a key component of the train, such as the engine or brakes.

2. Is it possible for a human to stop a train in less than 1 hour?

It is highly unlikely for a human to stop a train in less than 1 hour without the use of any tools or assistance. The average weight of a train is around 12 million pounds, making it nearly impossible for a human to physically stop it.

3. Can technologies such as magnets or electromagnetic fields be used to stop a train in less than 1 hour?

Yes, technologies such as strong magnets or electromagnetic fields can be used to stop a train in less than 1 hour. These methods would require careful planning and coordination to ensure the train is stopped safely and without causing any damage.

4. What are the potential risks or consequences of stopping a train in less than 1 hour?

The main risk would be the safety of the passengers on the train. Stopping a train abruptly can cause injuries to passengers and damage to the train itself. There is also a risk of derailment if the train is stopped too quickly or in an unstable manner.

5. Are there any other methods besides physical force that can be used to stop a train in less than 1 hour?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used such as using a barricade or barrier to slow down and stop the train, or using a controlled derailment where the train is intentionally derailed in a safe and controlled manner.