Body pH & germ theory of disease

In summary, the conversation discusses the belief that all ailments are caused by too much acidity in the body and the rejection of germ theory of disease. The website mentioned, http://www.unhinderedliving.com/germtheory.html , argues that body pH is the real problem. However, this belief is considered to be a high level of BS by many and has been debunked by medical experts. It is important to note that the acidity of food does not affect the acidity of the body except for urine. The body maintains a very narrow range of acidity and any changes can be harmful.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Often while channel surfing late at night, I'll see an infomercial with some doctor who claims that all ailments are caused by too much acidity in the body. So far, I have always flipped the channel immediately and given it no further thought. Now while web-surfing I found this website which rejects the germ theory of disease and also states that body pH is the problem. http://www.unhinderedliving.com/germtheory.html [Broken]

Anyone have an idea how extensive this belief is? Where does it fall on a crackpot scale of 1-10? (my 5-minute assessment ranks it very high on the crackpot scale, but I'm sure there's more to the story)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoever wrote this has not the slightest understanding of biology.

"The pH of those people's bodies' was not acidic enough to support the transformation of the germ into a bacteria, fungus or virus."
How does a germ transform into a virus. Judging from the quote. I don't think the author knows the difference between a virus, bacteria, and fungus.

I breifly skimmed it and I think they think that as acidity changes, the microorganisms in it change form. If it happens to microorganisms, why not to any cell? Or equivalently, I did not happen to see their reasoning why my mouth doesn't turn into a mushroom when I eat a lemon.
This rates amoung the very highest on my BSometer.

Excellent point. It's surprising that even with something as well established as germ theory, there are still such beliefs out there.

Originally posted by Jonathan
I breifly skimmed it and I think they think that as acidity changes, the microorganisms in it change form. If it happens to microorganisms, why not to any cell? Or equivalently, I did not happen to see their reasoning why my mouth doesn't turn into a mushroom when I eat a lemon.
This rates amoung the very highest on my BSometer.

The body's pH range of the body is very narrow, about 0.1 (my memory sucks, but it seems that it's between 7.30 and 7.40). Much beyond either boundary will cause you to end up dead.

Most pathogenic bacteria, on the other hand, will thrive in a much wider range of pH, often as high as a changes in hydrogen ion concentrations of a factor 10,000.

I tend to agree, my BS meter is pegged, on this one.

The rejection of 'germ theory' is more widespread than you think, chiropractors (though I must stress that not all chriopractors a are quacks, but if you do meet a chiropractor who claims he can cure anything don't let him/her anyway near you) who believe that chriropractory can cure all ailments also tend to reject germ theory as do others in alternative 'medicine'.

Well, of course germs are bogus. Who in their right mind would believe that there are little tiny animals that are all over your body, swarm by the millions, they make you sick, but you can't even see them. And because ontology clearly refutes germ theory, that obviously establishes this body-PH theory of disease.

[/sarcasm]

Woohoo! First post!

Originally posted by Phobos
Often while channel surfing late at night, I'll see an infomercial with some doctor who claims that all ailments are caused by too much acidity in the body. So far, I have always flipped the channel immediately and given it no further thought. Now while web-surfing I found this website which rejects the germ theory of disease and also states that body pH is the problem. http://www.unhinderedliving.com/germtheory.html [Broken]

Anyone have an idea how extensive this belief is? Where does it fall on a crackpot scale of 1-10? (my 5-minute assessment ranks it very high on the crackpot scale, but I'm sure there's more to the story)

Here is a good article and also a good link. http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/coral.html

Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease Is Nonsense
Gabe Mirkin, M.D.
Have you seen advertisements for products such as coral calcium or alkaline water that are supposed to neutralize acid in your bloodstream? Taking calcium or drinking alkaline water does not affect blood acidity. Anyone who tells you that certain foods or supplements make your stomach or blood acidic does not understand nutrition.

You should not believe that it matters whether foods are acidic or alkaline, because no foods change the acidity of anything in your body except your urine. Your stomach is so acidic that no food can change its acidity. Citrus fruits, vinegar, and vitamins such as ascorbic acid or folic acid do not change the acidity of your stomach or your bloodstream. An entire bottle of calcium pills or antacids would not change the acidity of your stomach for more than a few minutes.

All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline.

You cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body.

All chemical reactions in your body are started by chemicals called enzymes. For example, if you convert chemical A to chemical B and release energy, enzymes must start these reactions. All enzymes function in a very narrow range of acidity. (The degree of acidity or alkalinity is expressed as "pH."). If your blood changes its acidity or alkalinity for any reason, it is quickly changed back to the normal pH or these enzymes would not function and the necessary chemical reactions would not proceed in your body.

For example, when you hold your breath, carbon dioxide accumulates in your bloodstream very rapidly and your blood turns acidic, and you will become uncomfortable or even pass out. This forces you to start breathing again immediately, and the pH returns to normal. If your kidneys are damaged and cannot regulate the acidity of your bloodstream, chemical reactions stop, poisons accumulate in your bloodstream, and you can die.

Certain foods can leave end-products called ash that can make your urine acid or alkaline, but urine is the only body fluid that can have its acidity changed by food or supplements. ALKALINE-ASH FOODS include fresh fruit and raw vegetables. ACID-ASH FOODS include ALL ANIMAL PRODUCTS, whole grains, beans and other seeds. These foods can change the acidity of your urine, but that's irrelevant since your urine is contained in your bladder and does not affect the pH of any other part of your body.

When you take in more protein than your body needs, your body cannot store it, so the excess amino acids are converted to organic acids that would acidify your blood. But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists think that taking in too much protein may weaken bones to cause osteoporosis.

Cranberries have been shown to help prevent recurrent urinary tract infections, but not because of their acidity. They contain chemicals that prevent bacteria from sticking to urinary tract cells.

Taking calcium supplements or drinking alkaline water will not change the pH of your blood. If you hear someone say that your body is too acidic and you should use their product to make it more alkaline, you would be wise not to believe anything else the person tells you.

Dr. Mirkin is an associate clinical professor of pediatrics at Georgetown University School of Medicine and is board-certified in four specialties: allergy and immunology; sports medicine; pediatrics; and pediatric immunology. He practices medicine in Kensington, Maryland; produces and hosts a syndicated radio that can be heard online; publishes a monthly newsletter (The Mirkin Report); and has written books on sportsmedicine, weight control, and low-fat eating. His Web site contains reports on hundreds of topics.

Coral Calcium and Robert Barefoot ||| Quackwatch Home Page

This article was posted on February 6, 2003.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Young answered Gabe's arguments point by point at another web page. I give the debate win to Young.

jodavwel said:
Dr. Young answered Gabe's arguments point by point at another web page. I give the debate win to Young.

I found that by a Google search, but it's not worth linking to. The first point was 'refuted' by claiming that, rather than being strongly acidic, the ideal pH of the stomach is > 7.2.

:bugeye:

Not that there's any sort of evidence given for this outlandish claim...

Upon reconsideration, I have suspicions that Dr. Young is an opportunist. His academic credentials are extremely weak. But there does appear to be a relationship between pH of perhaps the blood and extracellular fluid and disease, particularly cancerous tumors. Note
Science News, July 5, 2008; Vol 174 #1, "Seeing Disease's Acidic Side" by Amy Maxmen.

jodavwel said:
But there does appear to be a relationship between pH of perhaps the blood and extracellular fluid and disease, particularly cancerous tumors.

I can't speak to that, but certainly it's a much weaker claim -- easier to believe -- to say that there's a nonzero relationship between blood pH and disease, than to reject the germ theory of disease.

What if I told all of you that I'm impervious to all disease and illness. This was possible through means that no one could have ever imagined, yet still in human reach. This is why no one can reach unbelievable hights. People have been taught to think so small and carelessly. I just happened to see this and learn the ancient ways on my own.

leutious2 said:
What if I told all of you that I'm impervious to all disease and illness. This was possible through means that no one could have ever imagined, yet still in human reach. This is why no one can reach unbelievable hights. People have been taught to think so small and carelessly. I just happened to see this and learn the ancient ways on my own.
You would have to prove it by publishing valid medical research on you posted in a peer reviewed journal that substantiates your claim. Otherwise, such claims are not allowed here.

Crackpot claims are no longer appropriate for S&D.

1. What is body pH and how does it relate to health?

Body pH refers to the level of acidity or alkalinity in our body. Our body has a natural pH level of around 7.4, which is slightly alkaline. Different parts of our body have different pH levels, such as the stomach which is highly acidic to aid digestion. Maintaining a balanced pH level is important for overall health and can affect various bodily functions.

2. Can an imbalance in body pH lead to disease?

Yes, an imbalance in body pH can lead to various diseases. When our body is too acidic, it can lead to inflammation, which is linked to many chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. On the other hand, a highly alkaline body can create an environment for bacterial and fungal overgrowth, leading to infections and other health issues.

3. How does the germ theory of disease relate to body pH?

The germ theory of disease states that microorganisms, such as bacteria and viruses, are the cause of infectious diseases. However, the pH level of our body plays a crucial role in determining whether these microorganisms can survive and cause disease. A balanced body pH can create an environment that is unfavorable for the growth of harmful microorganisms, while an imbalanced pH can make us more susceptible to infections.

4. Can we control our body pH to prevent disease?

Yes, we can control our body pH through various lifestyle choices. Eating a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables can help maintain a slightly alkaline pH level in our body. Regular exercise, getting enough sleep, and managing stress can also contribute to a balanced body pH. It is important to avoid habits that can make our body more acidic, such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and consuming processed foods high in sugar and unhealthy fats.

5. Are there any risks associated with trying to alter our body pH?

Yes, trying to alter our body pH too drastically can be harmful and potentially dangerous. Our body has natural mechanisms to regulate its pH level, and too much manipulation can disrupt these processes. It is important to focus on overall healthy habits rather than trying to achieve a specific pH level. Consulting with a healthcare professional before making significant changes to our diet or lifestyle is recommended.