Solve Spherical Shell Gauss Problem with Differential Form Only

In summary, the electric field in the region a<r<b is \vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}}\frac{r-a}{r^2}\hat{r}.
gavman

Homework Statement

A hollow spherical shell carries charge density [itex]\rho=\frac{k}{r^2}[/itex] in the region [itex]a<=r<=b[/itex], where a is the inner radius and b is the outer radius. Find the electric field in the region [itex]a<r<b[/itex].
I'm not allowed to use integral form of Gauss's law, must use differential form.

Homework Equations

Relating charge density to electric field divergence [itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the integral method, I believe the electric field is [itex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}}\frac{r-a}{r^2}\hat{r}[/itex]
I then went ahead and determined that spherical co-ordinates are the way to go, and that the E-field has only an [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] component and put together
[itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{∂(r^2\vec{E}(\vec{r}))}{∂r}=\frac{k}{r^2\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

By inspection I decided that I should have [itex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}r}\hat{r}[/itex]. While this does satisfy [itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex], it is not in agreement with the integral form.

So my question is, am I using these relationships incorrectly? I'm very confused, since when I integrate ∇E from a to r, I get the same answer as the Gauss integral form, but not sure why this could be, since I understand that the integral of ∇E is equal to the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface. Since I'm just interested in the E-field at a point in the shell, why would I need to integrate anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, gavman.

By inspection you found a particular solution to the differential equation. You can add to it any solution to the associated homogeneous differential equation. Then you can satisfy the appropriate boundary condition at r = a.

Hi TSny
Ok, I have [itex]\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}r^2}[/itex] as a solution to the associated DE. To get this I used ∇E=0 then substituted my particular solution for E. Do I then just state that at the boundary, E=0 and then build an equation from my two E(r) equations which satisfies this condition? I'm just not sure if I have made an unreasonable assumption.
thanks.

Yes, that sounds right. Of course, you are invoking the boundary condition that E = 0 at r = a and you might ask where that comes from. It's easy to use Gauss' law to get E = 0 everywhere r<a. But since you are not to use Gauss' law, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get the boundary condition at r= a.

In the inner range (r<a), ρ=0. The solution of ∇E=0 is E=C/r2, C is a constant. But there is no singularity at r=0, so C must be zero.

ehild

Ah. Good. That nails the boundary condition.

Great, thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

Related to Solve Spherical Shell Gauss Problem with Differential Form Only

What is the spherical shell Gauss problem?

The spherical shell Gauss problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the electric field inside and outside of a spherical shell of charge. It is an application of Gauss' Law in electrostatics.

What is the differential form of Gauss' Law?

The differential form of Gauss' Law is a mathematical equation that relates the electric field to the charge density. It states that the divergence of the electric field at a point is equal to the charge density at that point divided by the permittivity of free space.

Can the spherical shell Gauss problem be solved using only the differential form of Gauss' Law?

Yes, the spherical shell Gauss problem can be solved using only the differential form of Gauss' Law. This is because the problem involves a symmetric charge distribution, making it possible to use the differential form of Gauss' Law to simplify the calculations.

What are the steps to solve the spherical shell Gauss problem with the differential form of Gauss' Law?

The steps to solve the spherical shell Gauss problem with the differential form of Gauss' Law are as follows:1. Identify the symmetry of the charge distribution.2. Choose a Gaussian surface that takes advantage of the symmetry.3. Apply the differential form of Gauss' Law to the chosen surface.4. Simplify the integral using the known values of the charge and electric field.5. Solve for the unknown electric field at various points inside and outside of the spherical shell.

What are some tips for solving the spherical shell Gauss problem with the differential form of Gauss' Law?

Some tips for solving the spherical shell Gauss problem with the differential form of Gauss' Law include:- Choose a Gaussian surface that takes advantage of the symmetry of the charge distribution.- Remember that the electric field inside a spherical shell of charge is zero.- Use the known values of the charge and electric field to simplify the integral.- Be careful with units and make sure to convert to the correct units if necessary.- Double check your calculations to avoid errors.