Solve Sliding Blocks with Weight 3w & Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the question involves determining the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces based on the given conditions of a block sliding down an inclined plane and a plank resting on top of it. The forces involved in this scenario include the weight of the block, the force of friction between the surfaces, and the tension in the cord attached to the wall. After analyzing the forces in the x direction, the equation for constant velocity is set up, resulting in the correct answer of 0.450 for the coefficient of kinetic friction.
RoKe
Here is the question:
Block A, with weight 3w, slides down an inclined plane S of slope angle 36.9 degrees at a constant speed while plank B, with weight w, rests on top of A and is attached by a cord to the wall. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is the same between A and B and between S and A, determine its value.
Ok, here's what I did:
x is the direction parallel to the slope and y is perpendicular. Forces in the x direction include the component of the weight of Block A (down the slope), the force of friction of S on A and the force of friction of B on A (both resisting the motion down the slope).
I did not include the plank B's weight as part of the force pushing the block down because the component of B's weight parallel to the slope is being countered by the tension in the string (I hope that's right).
The force of friction of S on A is equal to (u_k)4wcos39.9, and the force of friction of B on A is (u_k)wcos39.9.
F_net = 3wsin36.9 - (u_k)4wcos39.9 - (u_k)wcos39.9 = 0 (const. velocity)
The answer in the book is 0.450. I know I'm doing something wrong, but I want to move on to other questions so if someone can help out I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 2,708
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for a typo in your angles (it's 36.9, not 39.9), your analysis is correct and should give you the book's answer.

So it does. I guess I was tired and was making mistakes in my calculations. Thanks! :)

Related to Solve Sliding Blocks with Weight 3w & Coefficient of Friction

1. How does weight affect the sliding blocks in this scenario?

The weight of the blocks plays a crucial role in determining the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface they are sliding on. As the weight increases, the coefficient of friction also increases, making it more difficult for the blocks to slide.

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it impact the sliding blocks?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In this scenario, it represents the resistance between the sliding blocks and the surface they are on. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance, making it harder for the blocks to slide.

3. How can I calculate the coefficient of friction for this problem?

To calculate the coefficient of friction in this scenario, you will need to know the weight of the blocks, the surface they are sliding on, and the force required to move the blocks. Once you have this information, you can use the formula μ = F/W, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force required to move the blocks, and W is the weight of the blocks.

4. What other factors besides weight and coefficient of friction can affect the sliding blocks in this problem?

Other factors that can impact the sliding blocks include the type of surface the blocks are sliding on, the temperature of the surface, and any external forces acting on the blocks. These factors can change the coefficient of friction and affect the overall movement of the blocks.

5. How can I optimize the movement of the sliding blocks in this scenario?

To optimize the movement of the sliding blocks, you will need to find the right balance between the weight of the blocks and the coefficient of friction. This can be achieved by adjusting either the weight of the blocks or the surface they are sliding on. Additionally, reducing the external forces acting on the blocks can also help improve their movement.