Solve sin cos: Find cos6x - 4cos4x + 8cos2x =?

• Thread starter johncena
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Sin
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question involving trigonometric functions and using identities to simplify the expression. The solution can be found by rewriting the expression and using double angle identities. The answer is (b) 4.
johncena
Can anyone give any hint to solve this ?

If sinx + sin2x + sin3x = 1,
then , cos6x - 4cos4x + 8cos2x =

(a) 1
(b) 4
(c) 2
(d) 3

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's probably not in the spirit of the question but you can just solve that cubic numerically and get sin(x) = 0.5437 (to 4 dp). Then using cos^2(x) = 1- sin^2(x) you can easily evaluate it.

BTW. The answer is (b) 4.

Rewrite as: sinx + (sinx)^3 = (cos)^2. Then square both sides and use the identity (sin)^2=1-(cos)^2 and the answer will follow

Thanks for the hint . I got the answer .Now can you help me to solve this ?

If [tex]\frac{sin(2a + b)}{sin b}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{n}{m}[/tex] , then tan (a + b)cot a = ?

(A)[tex]\frac{n-m}{n+m}[/tex] (B) [tex]\frac{m-n}{m+n}[/tex]

(C)[tex]\frac{n+m}{n-m}[/tex] (D)[tex]\frac{m+n}{m-n}[/tex]

Last edited:
I suppose the easiest way would be to choose values for a and b and see which fail.

Write sin(2a+b) as sin [a+(a+b)] and sin(b) as sin[a+(b-a)]. Then use the double angle identities and you should obtain the answer easily.

Thank you very much for your help sir...I got the answer easily

Related to Solve sin cos: Find cos6x - 4cos4x + 8cos2x =?

1. What is the general strategy for solving equations involving sin and cos?

The general strategy for solving equations involving sin and cos is to use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and then solve for the variable. Some common identities that may be helpful include the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1) and the double angle identities (sin 2x = 2sinx cosx, cos 2x = cos^2x - sin^2x).

2. How do I know which trigonometric identity to use when solving an equation?

It is important to carefully examine the equation and try to identify any patterns or relationships between the terms. This can help determine which identity will be most useful in simplifying the equation. It may also be helpful to have a list of common identities on hand for reference.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve equations involving sin and cos?

While a calculator can be a useful tool for checking answers, it is important to understand the concepts and strategies behind solving trigonometric equations by hand. Calculator use should not be relied upon as a primary method for solving these types of equations.

4. Are there any special cases or restrictions I need to be aware of when solving equations involving sin and cos?

Yes, there are a few special cases and restrictions to keep in mind. For example, since sine and cosine are periodic functions, there may be multiple solutions to an equation. It is important to find all possible solutions within the given domain. Additionally, some identities may only be valid for certain values of x, so it is important to check for any restrictions before proceeding with simplifying an equation.

5. Can I use other trigonometric functions, such as tangent or secant, to solve equations involving sin and cos?

Yes, other trigonometric functions can be used in conjunction with sin and cos to solve equations. However, it is important to remember that these functions have their own identities and properties, so they may not always be compatible with the identities and strategies used for sin and cos. It is best to stick with the functions given in the original equation when possible.