Solve Simultaneous Equations: Find X & Y Values

In summary: Re: Simultaineous EquationsPlease advise just to remove some confusion on my behalf what happened to the additional x here;5x - 10/3 + 4/3x = - 16at this point the 5x moved to 4/3x to become;5 + 4/3No, it didn't. It became (5+ 4/3)x
Casio1
I have been trying to find the values of x and y for these simultaineous equations by the method of substitution, but I can only get so far before I become confused what to do next?

2x + 3y = 5
5x - 2y = - 16

I worked out;

y = 1/3(5 - 2x) and combined them

y = 5x - 2/3(5 - 2x) = - 16 then I worked out the brackets

y = 5x - 10/3 + 4/3x = - 16. From here I become somewhat misunderstood as to the way things are done.

I think from here I require to convert the equations into a linear equation without the fractions, but am unsure?

(5 + 4/3)x - 10/3 = - 16. I don't know what the rule is to get to this stage from the last stage above?

If I multiply out the bracket above I get;

5x + x - 2 = - 16

6x = - 16 + 2

6x = -14

x = - 2.33

Now somewhere I am misunderstanding something because x = 2.

I also know that y = 3, but until I am clear on the method to find x there is no point me trying to go forward from finding x?

Any help much appreciated

Kind regards

Casio:confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Simultaineous Equations

You were fine up to here:

(5 + 4/3)x - 10/3 = - 16

When you distributed the x, made some illegal moves...

I would combine within the parentheses to obtain:

(19/3)x - 10/3 = -16

Multiply through by 3:

19x - 10 = -48

19x = -38

x = -2

Now, use either original equation, I'll use the first, to find y:

2(-2) + 3y = 5

3y = 9

y = 3

Please advise just to remove some confusion on my behalf what happened to the additional x here;

5x - 10/3 + 4/3x = - 16

at this point the 5x moved to 4/3x to become;

5 + 4/3x, then that became 19/3

what rule is used to make that move?

what happened to the second x?

Kind regards

Both 5x and (4/3)x are contained in their sum of (19/3)x.

It's like if you had 2x + 3x = 5x.

Hello, Casio!

[tex]\text{Substitution: }\;\begin{array}{cccccc}2x + 3y &=& 5 & (1) \\ 5x - 2y &=& \text{-} 16 & (2) \end{array}[/tex]

I would solve it like this . . .Solve (1) for [tex]y\!:\;y \:=\:\frac{5 - 2x}{3}[/tex]

Substitute into (2): .[tex]5x - 2\left(\frac{5-2x}{3}\right) \:=\:\text{-}16[/tex]

Multiply by 3: .[tex]15x - 2(5-2x) \:=\:\text{-}48[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . .[tex]15x - 10 + 4x \:=\:\text{-}48 [/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[tex]19x \:=\:-38[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [tex]x \:=\:-2[/tex]Substitute into (1): .[tex]2(\text{-}2) + 3y \:=\:5[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [tex]-4 + 3y \:=\:5[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [tex]3y \:=\:9[/tex]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [tex]y \:=\:3[/tex]

Answer: .[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}x &=& \text{-}2 \\ y&=& 3 \end{Bmatrix}[/tex]

Casio said:
Please advise just to remove some confusion on my behalf what happened to the additional x here;

5x - 10/3 + 4/3x = - 16

at this point the 5x moved to 4/3x to become;

5 + 4/3
No, it didn't. It became (5+ 4/3)x

then that became 19/3

what rule is used to make that move?
Adding fractions! The coefficient of x is 5+ 4/3 and you add fractions by getting a common denominator: [tex]5+ \frac{4}{3}= \frac{5}{1}+ \frac{4}{3}= \frac{3(5)}{3(1)}+ \frac{4}{3}= \frac{15}{3}+ \frac{4}{3}= \frac{19}{3}[/tex]
[tex](5+ \frac{4}{3})x= \frac{19}{3}x[/tex]

what happened to the second x?
I don't know. Apparently, you just didn't write it!

Kind regards

Related to Solve Simultaneous Equations: Find X & Y Values

1. What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are equations that have multiple variables and must be solved together. They typically involve two or more equations with two or more variables.

2. How do I solve simultaneous equations?

To solve simultaneous equations, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable and then solving for the remaining variable.

3. What are the steps to solving simultaneous equations?

The steps to solving simultaneous equations depend on the method you choose. Generally, you need to rearrange the equations to make one variable the subject, substitute that value into the other equation, and then solve for the remaining variable.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve simultaneous equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simultaneous equations. Most scientific or graphing calculators have a function for solving systems of equations. However, it is important to understand the concept and steps of solving simultaneous equations before relying on a calculator.

5. What are some real-world applications of simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations have many real-world applications, such as in economics, engineering, and physics. They can be used to model and solve various problems involving multiple variables, such as finding the optimum production levels for a business or determining the intersection point of two moving objects.