Solve Simple Harmonic Motion Homework for Mass m on Spring s

In summary: The amplitude is found by taking the difference between the initial and final tensions, or .In summary, the mass was stretched by 0.0981m when it came to rest, and was then pulled down a further 0.1m and released. The amplitude is found by taking the difference between the initial and final tensions.
Lavace

Homework Statement

A spring with stiffness s is suspended vertically with a mass m attached to it's free end. When the mass comes to rest the spring is found to have been stretched by 0.0981m. The mass is then pulled down a further 0.1m, released from rest and found to execute SHM.

We're given the general form of the SHM equation, i.e x(t) = Acos(wt + psi).

i) Calculate numerical values for the following: The amplitute, constant phase angle, frequency, period, maximum and minimum speed of the mass, the maximum kinetic energy for a mass of 1kg.

Homework Equations

F =- kx
U = 1/2*kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

]

I don't particularly know where to start, or rather where I intended to start is incorrect.

I was thinking that we'd start off by calculating the spring constant (stiffness), k (called s in the script). But where this fits into finding the amplitude I'm not sure.
Is the amplitude just 0.1m (as that is where the mass was released).

What is meant by constant phase angle? Psi?

To find the period, we will have to know omega(0), which is equal to 2PI/T, where T is the period. Omega(0) is equal to k/m, but we don't know the mass, we could substitute in Newton II (F=ma), but I'm not sure where this will lead.

Any pushes in the correct direction is a massive thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find an expression for the distance by which a spring of stiffness s is stretched when mass m is attached to it?

So here's my new solution:

F = mg - kd - kx , where d is the extension the string was stretched by.

Because mg = kd (from the equilibrium balance), F = -kx

We can then say ma = -kx, and hence a = -(k/m)x, where w = SQRT(k/m)

But then, why were we given the extension of when the mass was placed on the spring? Was this to calculate the stiffness for the latter questions?

How will you find the amplitude?

Hello, thank you for your question! I would approach this problem by first defining the variables and equations that we will need to use.

Variable definitions:
- m = mass of the object (given)
- s = spring stiffness (given)
- x(t) = position of the mass as a function of time (SHM equation)
- A = amplitude (unknown)
- w = angular frequency (unknown)
- t = time (unknown)
- psi = constant phase angle (unknown)

Equations:
- SHM equation: x(t) = Acos(wt + psi)
- Newton's Second Law: F = ma
- Hooke's Law: F = -kx
- Potential energy of a spring: U = 1/2 * k * x^2
- Kinetic energy: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2 (where v is the velocity of the mass)

Now, let's start by finding the amplitude. As you correctly mentioned, the amplitude is the maximum displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position. In this case, the mass was pulled down by 0.1m from its equilibrium position, so the amplitude is also 0.1m.

Next, we can use Newton's Second Law and Hooke's Law to find the angular frequency (w). From Newton's Second Law, we know that F = ma, where F is the force acting on the mass, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the only force acting on the mass is the force from the spring, which is given by Hooke's Law: F = -kx. So we can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for a: ma = -kx. We can then substitute in the given values for m and x (0.1m), and solve for k: k = ma/x = (m * 9.8 m/s^2)/0.1m = 98 m/s^2.

Now that we have the value for k, we can use the equation w = sqrt(k/m) to find the angular frequency. Substituting in the values for k and m, we get w = sqrt(98 m/s^2 / m) = sqrt(98/s) = 9.9 rad/s.

To find the constant phase angle (psi), we can use the information given in the problem.

Related to Solve Simple Harmonic Motion Homework for Mass m on Spring s

1. How do I calculate the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated by dividing 2π by the square root of the spring constant divided by the mass attached to the spring. The formula for calculating the period is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

2. What is the relationship between the amplitude and frequency of a simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude and frequency of a simple harmonic motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the amplitude increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. The formula for this relationship is f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period.

3. How do I calculate the maximum velocity of a simple harmonic motion?

The maximum velocity of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated by multiplying the amplitude by the angular frequency. The formula for calculating the maximum velocity is vmax = ωA, where vmax is the maximum velocity, ω is the angular frequency, and A is the amplitude.

4. What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion?

The main difference between simple harmonic motion and uniform circular motion is the type of force acting on the object. Simple harmonic motion is caused by a restoring force, such as a spring, while uniform circular motion is caused by a centripetal force. Additionally, the motion in simple harmonic motion is back and forth along a straight line, while the motion in uniform circular motion is in a circular path.

5. How do I determine the displacement of a mass in a simple harmonic motion at a given time?

The displacement of a mass in a simple harmonic motion at a given time can be calculated using the equation x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase constant. Simply plug in the values for these variables to find the displacement at a specific time.