Solve Shear Flow Problem: Find Correct Area

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving calculating shear stress using the equation q = \frac{VQ}{I}. The correct answer is determined to be Q = 7.2*10^-5 m^3 and I = 52.693*10^-6 m^4. There is a discussion about the area of the flange and how it affects the results of the equation. The conversation also touches on the limitations of the equation when applied to non-thin sections. Finally, there is a question posed about the reasoning behind certain values used in previous attempts at solving the problem.
Precursor
Homework Statement

The correct answer is circled.
[PLAIN]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/976/94926993.jpg

The attempt at a solution

I used the equation [tex]q = \frac{VQ}{I}[/tex]

But for Q = Ay, what is the area? My area was 80 x 20 = 1600 mm^2. However, this gave me the wrong answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the shear stress distribution and ask yourself whether the area (of the flange) isn't (less than 80)*20. Also, if you write again, give us your values of Q and I, with units.

I tried the question again and got it right with a Q value of 7.2*10^-5 m^3 and an I value of 52.693*10^-6 m^4. However, I am still confused as to why we only take an area of 40x20 than 80x20.

If you draw the shear stress distribution for the flange, you will see two triangles with zero in the middle, and maximums over the webs. The nail at A takes approximate the left triangle, and the nails at B the other half. The formula is based on thin sections, which this is not, and so you shouldn't believe the results too precisely. If you were to work this from the same first principles as were used to derive the formula VQ/I then I think you would have a better understanding.

Precursor: Why do you think (ii) is the correct answer? Why do you think Q = 72 000 mm^3? Or why did you think A = 1600 mm^2 in post 1?

Related to Solve Shear Flow Problem: Find Correct Area

1. What is shear flow and why is it important in structural analysis?

Shear flow is the distribution of shear stress across a section of a structural component. It is important in structural analysis because it helps determine the structural integrity and safety of a design.

2. How do I calculate shear flow?

To calculate shear flow, you need to first determine the shear stress acting on the section and then divide it by the thickness of the section. This will give you the shear flow value in units of force per unit length.

3. What is the correct area to use when solving a shear flow problem?

The correct area to use when solving a shear flow problem is the cross-sectional area that is experiencing the shear stress. This can vary depending on the type of load and section being analyzed.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a shear flow problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a shear flow problem include using the wrong area, neglecting shear deformation, and not considering the effect of torsion. It is important to carefully consider all aspects of the problem and use the correct equations and assumptions.

5. How can I check if my solution for a shear flow problem is correct?

You can check your solution for a shear flow problem by comparing it to known solutions or by checking if it satisfies the equilibrium and compatibility equations. You can also use a finite element analysis software to verify your solution.