Solve Set Theory Question: Family of Subsets F of {1,2,..k}

In summary, the speaker is looking for the solution to a problem involving a family of subsets and their intersections. They are unsure of how to search for a solution and are hoping for assistance. They also have two questions regarding the problem. The first question is whether this type of set has a name in literature. The second question is about proving a relationship between two variables. The speaker expresses gratitude in advance for any help.
juanchoba

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, i have the following problem, that for the moment i couldn't find the solution or even how to search about...

This is it, we have a family of subsets F ={F_1,...,F_p} of the set {1,2,...,k}.

We know that, for every i != j, F_i !=F_j
and for every pair of elements a, b \in {1,2,...k} there exists one F_i
such that a belongs to F_i but b does not.
(this is, no pair of elements belong to exactly the same sets)

Notice that with this restriction, at most one element can be outside every F_i.

it is clear that p should be at least ceiling ( log_2 ( k ) ).

First question. Does this family of sets have any name in the literature?

Second question:
Consider now the maximal sets S_1,S_2,...S_s such that
S_i is a subset of F and the intersection of every F_j \in S_i is non-empty.
The maximality means that there is no S_i subset of S_j with exactly
the same intersection, i.e., the intersection of F_x \in S_i != intersection of F_x \in S_j
for S_i subset of S_j.

I want to prove that s >= k-1

Thank you all for any answer :)
Juan!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea how to solve but just in particular cases, for example for p = k-1
and F_i ={i}...

Physics news on Phys.org
mmh nothing...? :(

Related to Solve Set Theory Question: Family of Subsets F of {1,2,..k}

1. What is a family of subsets?

A family of subsets is a collection of subsets of a given set. In the context of set theory, a subset is a set that contains elements from another set. A family of subsets, therefore, is a collection of these subsets, where each subset can be seen as a member or element of the family.

2. How do I solve a set theory question involving a family of subsets?

To solve a set theory question involving a family of subsets, you need to understand the properties and operations of sets. These include union, intersection, and complement, among others. You also need to be familiar with the concept of cardinality, which is the number of elements in a set or subset.

3. What is the cardinality of a family of subsets?

The cardinality of a family of subsets is the number of subsets in the family. It can be determined by counting the number of elements in each subset and adding them together, or by using mathematical formulas such as the binomial coefficient.

4. Can a family of subsets have an infinite number of subsets?

Yes, a family of subsets can have an infinite number of subsets. This is true for any set, including the set {1,2,..k} mentioned in the question. For example, the family of subsets of the set of natural numbers (N) is infinite.

5. How can I use a family of subsets to solve real-world problems?

A family of subsets can be used to represent and analyze various real-world situations. For example, in statistics, a family of subsets can be used to represent the different possible outcomes of an experiment. In computer science, it can be used to represent the power set of a data set, which has practical applications in data storage and retrieval. In general, understanding the properties and operations of a family of subsets can help in problem-solving and decision-making in various fields.