Hello, good-bye, and thank you.

In summary, the words "hello", "good-bye", and "thank you" all have significant cultural and historical origins. "Hello" comes from an Old High German word meaning "to fetch" or "to call", while "good-bye" is derived from the phrase "God be with you". Saying "thank you" is a social norm that has positive effects on mental health and can strengthen relationships. Different cultures have their own unique ways of using these words, such as bowing in Japan or saying "bonjour" and "au revoir" in France. Additionally, the meanings of these words can vary depending on context and tone, as well as cultural differences and nonverbal cues.
No big deal, it's just that "große(r) Gott" means "great god", and even in catholic southern Germany people may wonder about you if you tell them all the time how good god is... :)
Grüssen=to greet
Gross=great, big

Physics news on Phys.org
kuengb said:
No big deal, it's just that "große(r) Gott" means "great god", and even in catholic southern Germany people may wonder about you if you tell them all the time how good god is... :)
Grüssen=to greet
Gross=great, big

Oh rite I get it. Sorry mate.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Imparcticle said:
4.) Arabic: Selam
A'asalaama
Shukran

Just a minor correction... In Arabic, good-bye is Ma'asalama, not A'asalamaa. Ma'asalama means "(depart) with well-being".

Here are a couple of variations to the word:
Wada'an (good-bye)
Elal Liqa' (until we meat again... or simply 'later')

In Urdu...
Hello: Keya hall hey
Goodbye:Khuda Hafiz
ThankYou:Shukria

more mandarin:
Goodbye as in See you later: YìíHòu Jiàn (Yi is a falling then rising tone, hou and jian is a falling tone)
Goodbye as in Godspeed or travel carefully: Màn Zòóu
Good evening: Wàánsháng hàáo (shang is rising)
Good morning: ZàáoChén hàáo
and if you're thanking someone for a service they're supposed to be doing, just say: hàáo

lemme just check that unicode crap for pinyin... that ^ is annoying...

edit: pinyin code lies in &£0300 and up, but how do i display it? alt doesn't work, maybe since it won't accept a starting 0 or something... ?

Last edited:
baffledMatt said:
Southern Californian:
Hello: Hey dude
goodbye: Later dude

South Californian:

Hola
Adios
gracias

Turkish: Machamba is hello.. and I did know the others...I'll get back to you on that

Turkish-
hello- merhaba
goodbye- hoscakal (hosh-cha-kal)
thankyou- tesekkur ederim (te-she-koor-- e-deh-rim)

this is pretty formal though i guess, we don't say that at home, we've just adopted to the "hello" "bye" and "thanks"

lol, where we went they had this crazy accent that made it sound different to what the phrasebook said. I remember what Thank you is now, but I didnt know goodbye obviously.