Solve Rotational Friction Problem with Steel Rod & Balls

In summary, the angular acceleration is -10.816 rad / s^2 and the number of revolutions is 537.42 rev. The torque is -8.202 Nm and the work is -27723 J.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

Attached to each end of a thin steel rod of length 1.00 m and mass 6.80 kg is a small ball of mass 1.15 kg. The rod is constrained to rotate in a horizontal plane about a vertical axis through its midpoint. At a certain instant, it is rotating at 43.0 rev/s. Because of friction, it slows to a stop in 25.0 s. Assuming a constant retarding torque due to friction, compute (a) the angular acceleration, (b) the retarding torque, (c) the total energy transferred from mechanical energy to thermal energy by friction, and (d) the number of revolutions rotated during the 25.0 s.

Homework Equations

K = Kf - Ki = (1/2)Iwf^2 - (1/2)IWi^2 = W
T = Ia (a = angular acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular acceleration to be -10.816 rad / s^2
and the number of revolutions to be 537.42 rev

For torque i used the equation T=Ia where I = 1/12ML^2 where M is the total mass of the balls attached to each end of the rod plus the mass of the rod itself which is a total of 9.10 kg. I got T = -8.202 [N m] and for the work I used the work equation but got a really high solution which was -27723 J.

Both are wrong according to my homework's website

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just add the masses of the balls to the mass of the rod the way you did. The moment of inertia of the system is the moment of inertia of the rod (1/12)ML2 to which you add the moments of inertia of the two masses m(L/2)2+m(L/2)2.

so would m be half the mass of the rod plus the mass of one ball?

No. M in my expression is the mass of the rod (6.80 kg) and m is the mass of one ball (1.15 kg). Then

[tex] I=\frac{1}{12}ML^2+2 \times m(\frac{L}{2})^2 [/tex]

where L = 1.0 m.

Thank you!

Related to Solve Rotational Friction Problem with Steel Rod & Balls

1. What is rotational friction?

Rotational friction is the force that opposes the rotational motion of an object. It occurs when two surfaces are in contact and one is rotating relative to the other.

2. How is rotational friction different from regular friction?

Rotational friction is different from regular friction in that it involves angular velocity and torque, whereas regular friction involves linear velocity and force. Rotational friction also depends on the shape and size of the rotating object, while regular friction depends on the surface area of the objects in contact.

3. How can I solve a rotational friction problem?

To solve a rotational friction problem, you will need to know the coefficient of friction between the two surfaces, the radius of the rotating object, and the force or torque acting on the object. You can then use the formula τ = rF to calculate the magnitude of the frictional torque, where τ is the torque, r is the radius, and F is the force.

4. In what situations is rotational friction important to consider?

Rotational friction is important to consider in any situation where there is rotation involved, such as in the operation of machinery, vehicles, or sports equipment. It is also important to consider in situations where precise control of rotational motion is required, such as in robotics or manufacturing processes.

5. How can I reduce rotational friction?

There are a few ways to reduce rotational friction, including using lubricants between the two surfaces in contact, minimizing the contact area between the surfaces, and using smoother materials for the surfaces. Additionally, ensuring that the rotating object is properly balanced and aligned can also help reduce rotational friction.