Solve Rocket Propulsion Problem: a = ((Vr)(k))/(1-(kt))-g

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation a = (-Vr/m)(dm/dt)-g and its relation to the equation 6: m=m(initial)(1-kt). It is shown that under the conditions of equation 6, a can be simplified to ((Vr)(k))/(1-(kt))-g. The speaker has attempted to solve this problem by substituting dm/dt=-km(initial) into the first equation, but has not been successful.
mopar969
Here is what I know a = (-Vr/m)(dm/dt)-g, I also know that 6. : m=m(initial)(1-kt). Under the conditions of 6: Show that a = ((Vr)(k))/(1-(kt))-g. I have tried to solve this problem by substituting dm/dt=-km(initial) into the first equation I have listed (a = etc.) but I have had no luck. Please help me solve this problem!

Physics news on Phys.org
Subbing DM/dt = -Mi*k into a = - Vr/M*dM/dt - g
I get a = (-Vr)(-Mi*k)/M - g = k*Vr*Mi/M - g
To get the desired expression, we must eliminate the M's.
From the original expression for m, rearranged, we have
Mi/M= 1/(1-kt)
Putting this into line 2 above, we have a = k*Vr/(1-kt) - g

Related to Solve Rocket Propulsion Problem: a = ((Vr)(k))/(1-(kt))-g

1. What is rocket propulsion?

Rocket propulsion is the movement or acceleration of a rocket through the use of thrust generated by the release of hot gases from the rocket's engine.

2. What does "a" stand for in the equation for rocket propulsion?

In the equation a = ((Vr)(k))/(1-(kt))-g, "a" represents the acceleration of the rocket in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What do "Vr" and "k" represent in the rocket propulsion equation?

"Vr" stands for the effective exhaust velocity of the rocket in meters per second (m/s), and "k" represents the ratio of specific heats for the exhaust gases.

4. How does gravity affect rocket propulsion?

Gravity, represented by "g" in the rocket propulsion equation, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the rocket's acceleration. This means that gravity can decrease the acceleration and speed of a rocket.

5. What is the significance of the "t" variable in the equation for rocket propulsion?

The "t" variable in the equation represents time in seconds. It is used to calculate the change in velocity and acceleration over a period of time during rocket propulsion.