Solve Rocket Problem with Step-by-Step Guide | Imaginary Number Solution

In summary, when you plug in the numbers to what you ended up with, you get an imaginary number for U initial. This imaginary number is in agreement with the results of the problem if you use the equation ##v_0 = u^2+2gh##, which is the equation you should have used in the first place.
takelight2
Homework Statement
A toy rocket moving vertically upward passes by a 2.1 m -high window whose sill is 8.0 m above the ground. The rocket takes 0.13 s to travel the 2.1 m height of the window.

What was the launch speed of the rocket? Assume the propellant is burned very quickly at blastoff.
Relevant Equations
s = ut + 1/2at^2
This is what I tried and it makes perfect sense to me. When i plug in the numbers to what I ended up with, I get an imaginary number for U initial...

Work is attached below.

Attachments

• EEBDAB96-74F2-41AA-82C4-D90668E3F106.jpeg
    EEBDAB96-74F2-41AA-82C4-D90668E3F106.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 102
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the equations you wrote down, ##v_0 = u^2+2gh##, is incorrect. You can see that just from comparing the units on the lefthand side with the units of the righthand side.

vela said:
One of the equations you wrote down, ##v_0 = u^2+2gh##, is incorrect. You can see that just from comparing the units on the lefthand side with the units of the righthand side.
Oh yeah that makes sense. So that would change my final equation to this:

u = sqrt[([(s/t)+(1/2)(g)(t)]^2) -2gh]

But it still is giving me the wrong value D: Any other ideas?

takelight2 said:
So that would change my final equation to this:

When you wrote the equation ##v_0 = u^2 + 2gh##, not only is there the mistake of not squaring ##v_0##, but there is also a sign error in the equation. Can you spot it?

takelight2 said:
Oh yeah that makes sense. So that would change my final equation to this:

It seems to me that, if you are assuming u to be the launching velocity and Vo the velocity of the rocket when it was by the top of the window, either both signs in that equation are incorrect, or the input value of g should be negative.
Since the rocket is decelerating while flying upwards, Vo < u.

Please, see:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot4

:cool:

1. How do I solve a rocket problem using imaginary numbers?

To solve a rocket problem using imaginary numbers, you will first need to convert all real numbers to their corresponding complex numbers. Then, use the appropriate formulas and equations to solve for the imaginary components of the problem. Finally, convert the complex numbers back to real numbers to obtain the solution.

2. What is the step-by-step guide for solving a rocket problem with imaginary numbers?

The step-by-step guide for solving a rocket problem with imaginary numbers includes converting all real numbers to complex numbers, using the correct formulas and equations, and converting the complex numbers back to real numbers. It is important to carefully follow each step and double check your work for accuracy.

3. Can I solve a rocket problem without using imaginary numbers?

Yes, it is possible to solve a rocket problem without using imaginary numbers. However, using imaginary numbers can sometimes simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. It is important to understand the concept of imaginary numbers and how to use them in problem solving.

4. What is the purpose of using imaginary numbers in solving a rocket problem?

The purpose of using imaginary numbers in solving a rocket problem is to account for the complex variables and components involved in the problem. Imaginary numbers allow us to represent and manipulate these complex quantities in a mathematical way, making it easier to solve the problem.

5. Are there any tips for solving rocket problems with imaginary numbers?

Some tips for solving rocket problems with imaginary numbers include practicing converting between real and complex numbers, understanding the properties of imaginary numbers, and carefully following the steps in the problem-solving process. It is also helpful to double check your work and use a calculator for complex calculations.