Solve RL Parallel Circuit: Find VL(0) Across 5ohm Resistor

In summary, the homework statement is to find the open circuit voltage VL(0) across the 5ohm resistor. The homework equations are Z1*Z2/Z1+Z2 and V(Z2*Z1+Z2). The attempt at a solution found that due to infinite resistance of the OC, the voltage across the j35 inductor would be the equivalent of VL(0). So the voltage divider equation across the 2 inductors in the left hand loop would be used. The attempt then solved for VL(0) using the by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of j35+j0.3. If the inductors are not coupled by mutual induct
jendrix
ex6.jpg

Homework Statement

Find the open circuit voltage VL(0) across the 5ohm resistor

Homework Equations

Z1*Z2/Z1+Z2

V(Z2*Z1+Z2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought for the open circuit voltage that due to infinite resistance of OC that the voltage across j35 inductor would be the equivalent of VL(0).

So i'd use the voltage divider equation across the 2 inductors in the left hand loop.

j35/(j35+j0.3)

Solving this using by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of j35+j0.3

j35/(j35+j0.3)

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have interpreted the question correctly, then you have started it the right way.

But I'm not convinced that the question is "Find the open circuit voltage VL(0) across the 5ohm resistor". Is that your wording?

Can you quote the instructions exactly?

jendrix said:
<image snipped>

Homework Statement

Find the open circuit voltage VL(0) across the 5ohm resistor

Homework Equations

Z1*Z2/Z1+Z2

V(Z2*Z1+Z2)
------ Huh?

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought for the open circuit voltage that due to infinite resistance of OC that the voltage across j35 inductor would be the equivalent of VL(0).

So i'd use the voltage divider equation across the 2 inductors in the left hand loop.

j35/(j35+j0.3)

Solving this using by multiplying the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of j35+j0.3

j35/(j35+j0.3)

Am I on the right track?
Yup. Should be fine so long as the inductors are not coupled by mutual inductance.

Sorry, it's two separate questions, first find the open circuit voltage VL(0) where there's an OC instead of the resistor.Then secondly find the voltage over the resistor.

Sorry, misquoted the potential divider equation, it should have been

V(Z2/Z1+Z2)

Am I right in thinking that as it's just 2 inductors then the voltage across will be in phase with each other, hence

v*(j35/j35+j0.3) the j will cancel leaving 100*(35/35.3) =99.2v? For the OC voltage?

Thanks

jendrix said:
Sorry, it's two separate questions, first find the open circuit voltage VL(0) where there's an OC instead of the resistor.Then secondly find the voltage over the resistor.
okay

Sorry, misquoted the potential divider equation, it should have been

V(Z2/Z1+Z2)
I'd not hesitate to mark that wrong.

Sorry I'll try again

VL(0)=V*(Z2/(Z1+Z2))

=100*(j35/(j35+j0.3))

=100*(35/35.3)

VL(0)=99.15v

jendrix said:
Sorry I'll try again

VL(0)=V*(Z2/(Z1+Z2))

=100*(j35/(j35+j0.3))

=100*(35/35.3)

VL(0)=99.15v
Looks okay. That's the easy part out of the way ... :smile:

Likes 1 person
Thanks, so for VL would loop analysis work? Or should I be looking at using Z1*Z2/(Z1+Z2) to simplify the circuit?

Thanks

jendrix said:
Thanks, so for VL would loop analysis work? Or should I be looking at using Z1*Z2/(Z1+Z2) to simplify the circuit?
Any valid method will work. Choose one, or be daring and try a few different ways!

The aim was to get us practising with complex impedences.So my plan is to find overall impedence using

Z1*Z2/Z1+Z2

then add this to the 0.3 inductor closest to the voltage supply.This gave me 1.28j+4.82 which gives me the wrong VL compared to the answer provided (98.45v)

There seems to be a problem with the parentheses keys on your keyboard...?

You won't get the answer in one step. There are a couple of 'potential divider' steps to consider when determining VL.

If you don't provide your working, it is difficult to say whether you are going about it the right way or not.

Sorry again :)

Thanks, I think I understand now, it's just the complex arithmitic I think I slipped up on.It'll be a struggle to type it all up on here, so I'll stick with it and look for a solution.

Thanks again for your assistance.

jendrix said:
Sorry again :)

Thanks, I think I understand now, it's just the complex arithmitic I think I slipped up on.It'll be a struggle to type it all up on here, so I'll stick with it and look for a solution.
You can scan a neatly handwritten page and attach the jpeg to your post here using the paperclip icon.

Related to Solve RL Parallel Circuit: Find VL(0) Across 5ohm Resistor

What is a RL parallel circuit?

A RL parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit that has both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in parallel. This means that the two components share the same voltage, but the current may be divided between them.

What is VL(0)?

VL(0) is the voltage across the 5ohm resistor in the RL parallel circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the potential difference between the two ends of the resistor.

How do you solve for VL(0) in a RL parallel circuit?

To solve for VL(0), you can use the equation VL(0) = (VR/ R) * Xl, where VR is the voltage across the resistor (measured in V), R is the resistance (measured in ohms), and Xl is the reactance of the inductor (measured in ohms).

What is the 5ohm resistor in this circuit?

The 5ohm resistor is a component in the RL parallel circuit that has a resistance of 5 ohms. It is one of the two components (the other being the inductor) that make up the circuit.

Why is it important to find VL(0) in a RL parallel circuit?

Finding VL(0) is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the circuit. It can help us determine the current flow and power dissipation in the circuit, as well as the overall stability and efficiency of the system.