Solve Rectangular Room Mirror Homework Problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the length of the back wall of a rectangular room based on the given dimensions and placement of a mirror. To solve this, one can draw the reflection of the room on the opposite side of the mirror and use the fact that a person standing 0.5 m in front of the mirror can see both ends of the back wall in the mirror. This will allow for the calculation of the length of the back wall.
Shibos

Homework Statement

A rectangular room is 6 m long. A mirror 0.35 m wide is hung on the wall horizontally at one end of the room. A person standing 0.5 m in front of the mirror can just see both ends of the back wall in the mirror. What is the length of the back wall.

I don't want the answer I just want to know how to get it. explain everything please!

Homework Equations

N/A

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

Don't have a clue how to attempt it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Shibos! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The best way to solve (flat) mirror questions is usually to draw the reflection (the image) of the room on the "wrong" side of the mirror (so that the mirror turns into a window :wink:) …

that means that instead of bent lines in your diagram, you can just draw straight lines, from the eye (on the "right" side) to the image! :biggrin:

Related to Solve Rectangular Room Mirror Homework Problem

1. How do I calculate the area of a rectangular room?

To calculate the area of a rectangular room, you need to multiply the length of the room by the width. This will give you the total area in square feet.

2. How do I determine the number of mirrors needed for a rectangular room?

To determine the number of mirrors needed for a rectangular room, you first need to calculate the area of the room. Then, divide the area by the area of the mirror to determine how many mirrors will fit in the room. Keep in mind that you may need to round up to the nearest whole number if the calculation results in a decimal.

3. How do I know what size mirror to use for a rectangular room?

The size of the mirror for a rectangular room will depend on the size of the room and personal preference. To determine the best size, you can use a mirror that is no more than 75% of the width of the wall it will be placed on. This will ensure that the mirror is not too overwhelming for the room.

4. How do I hang a mirror in a rectangular room?

To hang a mirror in a rectangular room, you will need a level, measuring tape, and appropriate hardware for the type of wall the mirror will be hung on. Measure and mark the desired location for the mirror, use the level to ensure it is straight, and then secure the mirror to the wall using the appropriate hardware.

5. Can I use multiple small mirrors to cover a larger area in a rectangular room?

Yes, you can use multiple small mirrors to cover a larger area in a rectangular room. Just make sure to measure the total area you want to cover and then calculate how many small mirrors you will need to achieve that area. Keep in mind that using multiple small mirrors may result in more seams and a less cohesive look.