Solve Ratio Problem: Minimum Number of Oranges in a Box | 50+ Fruit Pieces

• Thread starter tomtomtom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
Your results seem to be correct, but it would be helpful if you could provide the original questions as well. It is also important to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas and ratios for each question.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I have a ratio problem which i was hoping someone could help with.

The question is this:-

Barry bough a box full of fruit. The contained some apples, oranges and lemons in the ratio 5:3:1. Given that there were more than 50 pieces of fruit in the box work out the minimum number of oranges in the box.

I do the following:-

5+3+1=9

(50/9)*3=16.666..

You cannot have 0.666 of an orange the answer is 17.

But this is wrong the answer is in fact 18 according to the answer sheet but WHY?

I know it has something to do with the statement "more than 50 pieces" but i cannot figure it out.

Can someone help

Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
Hi all

I have a ratio problem which i was hoping someone could help with.

The question is this:-

Barry bough a box full of fruit. The contained some apples, oranges and lemons in the ratio 5:3:1. Given that there were more than 50 pieces of fruit in the box work out the minimum number of oranges in the box.

I do the following:-

5+3+1=9

(50/9)*3=16.666..

You cannot have 0.666 of an orange the answer is 17.

But this is wrong the answer is in fact 18 according to the answer sheet but WHY?

I know it has something to do with the statement "more than 50 pieces" but i cannot figure it out.

Can someone help

Assume there are N pieces of fruit altogether. How many pieces of each type would there be?

If you were to have 5 apples, 3 oranges and one lemon, you would have 9 fruit.
So, you can only have n * 9 fruits where n is a positive integer.
Can you work out the smallest value for n such that n * 9 > 50?
What does that tell you about the minimum number of oranges?

Another, more "algebraic" way to do this is to let "x" be the number of lemons. Then the number of oranges is 3x and the number of apples is 5x. The total number is x+ 3x+ 5x= 9x so the number of fruit must be a multiple of 9. The smallest multiple of 9 larger than 5 is (9)(6)= 54.

The answer is 6, so 6 * 3 = 18. got it thanks

Past Exam Questions on Ratio

Hi i found a past exam ratio questions on line and attempted to do them, i have attached my results, can anyone spot any mistakes?

Thanks

Attachments

• Ratio Problems.pdf
    150.4 KB · Views: 345
First, no the answer is not 6. The answer is 18. Try not to take x for the ANSWER whenever you solve for x.

Second, I think you should open another topic to place that PDF.

Third, question 17 is correct to me.

Related to Solve Ratio Problem: Minimum Number of Oranges in a Box | 50+ Fruit Pieces

What is a ratio problem?

A ratio problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves comparing two quantities using a ratio. This ratio can be written as a fraction or in the form of a colon, and it represents the relationship between the two quantities. In these types of problems, one quantity is known, and the other is unknown, and the goal is to find the value of the unknown quantity.

How do you solve a ratio problem?

To solve a ratio problem, you can use a variety of methods such as setting up and solving proportions, using equivalent ratios, or creating a table to organize the information. It is essential to understand the relationship between the two quantities and use the given information to determine the value of the unknown quantity.

What is the minimum number of oranges in a box if there are 50+ fruit pieces?

The minimum number of oranges in a box is 50. This is because the problem states that there are 50+ fruit pieces, which means there must be at least 50 oranges in the box. It is possible that there are more than 50 oranges, but the minimum number is 50.

Can you have a ratio problem with more than two quantities?

Yes, it is possible to have a ratio problem with more than two quantities. In these types of problems, you must use multiple ratios to compare all the quantities and find the value of the unknown quantity. It is essential to understand the relationship between each quantity and use the given information to solve the problem.

Is there a specific formula for solving ratio problems?

No, there is no specific formula for solving ratio problems. The method used to solve a ratio problem may vary depending on the given information and the type of problem. It is important to understand the concept of ratios and use the given information to find the value of the unknown quantity.