Solve Radio Inductor Problem: Find Frequency for 12V, 2.2mA, 4.6mH

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency needed to achieve a current amplitude of 2.20 mA in a radio inductor with an inductance of 4.60 mH when a sinusoidal voltage with an amplitude of 12.0 V is applied. The equation used is w = 1/(square root of(LC)) and combining it with w = I/Q which is also w0 = I/(CV). The calculated frequency is ~188 kHz, but there may be some arithmetic mistakes involved.
Cernie
A radio inductor. Please help!

Hello.
I am seeking immediate help with a problem I have. Here is the problem:

A Radio Inductor. You want the current amplitude through a inductor with an inductance of 4.60 mH (part of the circuitry for a radio receiver) to be 2.20 mA when a sinusoidal voltage with an amplitude of 12.0 V is applied across the inductor.
What frequency is required?

What I tried to do was use this equation:
w = 1/(square root of(LC)) and combining it with w = I/Q which is also w0 = I/(CV), and then I would have C which I could use to find w. But that's got to be the wrong way. I've tried some other ways which I think would make more sense, but it just doesn't seem to come out right. Is there any chance you can help me with this?
Thank you,
Cernie.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how we can do this without knowing the frequency of the applied 12 volt current.

The (real) impedance of an inductor of inductance L at frequency [itex]\omega[/itex] is [itex]Z = \omega L[/itex]. Ohm's law is V = IZ.

Substituting and rearranging,

[tex]\frac{V}{L I} = \omega[/tex]

Solving for [itex]\omega[/itex], I get ~188 kHz.

- Warren

Last edited:
How?

How do you get that answer?
I've already tried this method and I always get the same answer, w = 1185771 Hz = 1.19MHz.

Related to Solve Radio Inductor Problem: Find Frequency for 12V, 2.2mA, 4.6mH

1. What is a radio inductor and what does it do?

A radio inductor is a type of electronic component that is used to create and control magnetic fields. It is typically made of a coiled wire and is used in circuits to store and release energy at specific frequencies.

2. How do you solve for the frequency of a radio inductor?

To solve for the frequency of a radio inductor, you need to use the formula f=1/(2π√(LC)), where f is frequency, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads. You will also need to know the voltage and current of the circuit, as well as the inductance of the inductor.

3. What are the units of measurement for the voltage, current, and inductance in this equation?

The voltage is measured in volts (V), the current is measured in milliamps (mA), and the inductance is measured in millihenries (mH).

4. Can this equation be used for any type of radio inductor?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of radio inductor as long as the voltage, current, and inductance values are known.

5. How does changing the voltage and current affect the frequency of the radio inductor?

Changing the voltage and current of the circuit will affect the frequency of the radio inductor by altering the amount of energy that is stored and released by the inductor. Higher voltage and current will result in a higher frequency, while lower voltage and current will result in a lower frequency.