Solve Quadratic Trinomials w/Large Coeffs: Factoring Tips

In summary, completing the square is a useful skill in calculus as it can give the point where the derivative is zero without actually taking it. It is also a simple process that can be used for quadratic equations with large coefficients. However, it is essentially equivalent to using the quadratic formula. Completing the square can provide more insight into why the quadratic formula works, but after practicing a few times, using the quadratic formula may be a faster method.
daigo
I'm told that factoring is an important skill in calculus so I am avoiding using the quadratic formula. But for quadratic equations with large coefficients to factor, is there a better/faster way rather than guessing and checking every single combination?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I personally prefer completing the square. It's rather more useful in calculus than even factoring, as it gives you the point where the derivative is zero without even ever having to take it.

EDIT:

Completing the square is also rather simple. Start with an equation a x^2 + b x + c = 0, right? Divide both sides by a so that you get this:

[tex]x^2 + \frac{b}{a} x + \frac{c}{a} = 0[/tex]

Then add and subtract b^2 / 4 a^2 to the left side (effectively adding zero)

[tex]x^2 + \frac{b}{a} x + \frac{b^2}{4 a^2} + \frac{c}{a} - \frac{b^2}{4 a^2} = 0[/tex]

Now, the first three terms in that are a perfect square, and the last two are a constant, so we can easily rearrange this to give...

[tex]\left( x + \frac{b}{2a}\right)^2 = \frac{b^2}{4 a^2} - \frac{c}{a}[/tex]

And there we have it. This gives us the two roots with just a little algebraic manipulation (equivalent to the quadratic formula, as it happens) and also immediately gives us the vertex of the equation (hint, take the derivative of both sides).

Yes...the quadratic formula.
How do you intend to find irrational roots without using the quadratic formula?

Number Nine said:
Yes...the quadratic formula.
How do you intend to find irrational roots without using the quadratic formula?

If you take a look at my post above, it can be done quite easily.

Char. Limit said:
If you take a look at my post above, it can be done quite easily.

True, but at that point he's effectively utilizing the quadratic formula anyway.

Number Nine said:
True, but at that point he's effectively utilizing the quadratic formula anyway.

Also true. I like completing the square better than a straight application, though, as it gives you more insight into why the quadratic formula works.

Char. Limit said:
Also true. I like completing the square better than a straight application, though, as it gives you more insight into why the quadratic formula works.

After doing it a few times your way the concept should sink in. After that using the quadratic formula is faster.

Related to Solve Quadratic Trinomials w/Large Coeffs: Factoring Tips

1. How do I know if a trinomial is quadratic?

A trinomial is quadratic if it has a degree of 2, meaning the highest power of the variable is 2. It can also be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c, where a is a non-zero coefficient.

2. What are the steps for factoring a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients?

The steps for factoring a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients are:

1. Find the greatest common factor (GCF) of all three terms in the trinomial.
  2. Multiply the GCF by the coefficient of the x^2 term and write it outside parentheses.
  3. Divide the GCF from each term in the trinomial and write the remaining terms inside parentheses.
  4. Use the distributive property to simplify the expression inside the parentheses.
  5. Factor the resulting trinomial using common factoring methods such as grouping, difference of squares, or perfect square trinomials.

3. Can a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients be solved by completing the square?

Yes, a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients can be solved by completing the square. This method involves adding and subtracting a constant to the trinomial in order to create a perfect square trinomial that can be factored.

4. Is it necessary to factor a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients?

No, it is not always necessary to factor a quadratic trinomial with large coefficients. In some cases, it may be easier to solve the trinomial using the quadratic formula or by graphing the equation.

5. What are some tips for factoring quadratic trinomials with large coefficients?

Some tips for factoring quadratic trinomials with large coefficients include:

• Start by finding the GCF to make the trinomial easier to work with.
  • Look for common factors or patterns that can help in factoring (e.g. difference of squares or perfect square trinomials).
  • If the trinomial cannot be factored, try solving it using the quadratic formula or by graphing.
  • Practice and familiarity with common factoring methods can make the process easier and quicker.