Solve Quadratic Equation Q1: x^2+4x-5=0

In summary: So if you have ##(x + -1)(x+5) > 0##, then either both factors are positive or both factors are negative. Looking at a number line, you can visualize the values of x that satisfy this inequality. In part (c) you want the right hand side to be greater than zero. So you want the left hand side to be positive, i.e. you want (x+-1) and (x+5) to have the same sign. This happens when both are positive or both are negative. When are they both positive? When are they both negative?One thing that might help is if you were to draw a number line with the numbers -5 and 1 marked on
Danatron
Question 1

(a) Solve the quadratic equation

x^2 + 4x -5 = 0

(b) Factorise its left hand side.

(c) Find interval(s) of x where the left hand side is positive

Q1
(a)
(x+-1) (x+5)
x= 1 x=-5
is that solving the equation?

(b)
didnt i already factorise the left hand side of the equation when i solved for in (a)?
(x+-1)?

(c)
not sure on this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there, you have solved the equation in a). Yes you did already factorise the equation, but perhaps the question assumed you might have solved it a different way (by the quadratic equation). For part c you need to use the fact the two negative numbers multiplied together will give you a positive number etc.

Danatron said:
Question 1

x^2 + 4x -5 = 0

Q1
(a)
(x+-1) (x+5)
x= 1 x=-5

(b)
didnt i already factorise the left hand side of the equation when i solved for in (a)?
(x+-1)?

(c)
not sure on this one

Your notation x+-1 is meaningless, and should never be used. If x=1 is a root then one of the factors is x-1; if x = -1 is a root, one of the factors is x+1.

You should try graphing the quadratic

[tex]y=x^2+4x-5[/tex]

You should know that the quadratic is convex (in the shape of a u) instead of concave (in the shape of an n) because the coefficient of x2 (multiple of x2) is 1 and hence positive (if it were negative the quadratic would be concave).

You've also found that it crosses the x-axis at x=1 and x=-5 because this is where the quadratic =0 hence y=0 for those x values.

Putting these two ideas together, it's quite obvious what the domain is (values of x) for where the quadratic is positive.

Danatron said:
Q1
(a)
(x+-1) (x+5)
x= 1 x=-5
Yes, you have found the values of the unknowns which will make the right side equal to the left side.

(c)
not sure on this one
You are trying to determine your answer without sketching the graph? ✻shame✻

Always sketch the graph, so you can see what you are dealing with.

For c), besides sketching the graph you can analyse the sign of the terms individually.

(x-1)(x+5)

When is (x-1) positive? When is it negative?
Same to (x+5).

What must be the signs of (x-1) and (x+5) so that (x-1)(x+5) > 0?

quadratic

ok so i have graphed the quadratic and circled in red all the positive values of x, how would i write this?

[PLAIN]http://i.imgur.com/WwvsteW.jpg?1[/PLAIN]

Danatron said:
ok so i have graphed the quadratic and circled in red all the positive values of x, how would i write this?

[PLAIN]http://i.imgur.com/WwvsteW.jpg?1[/PLAIN]
What you're asked for is:

All of the x values for which the y values are positive .

so that would be everything before -5 and everything after 1 right?

Danatron said:
so that would be everything before -5 and everything after 1 right?

Yes. So just turn that into a mathematical expression. What's "everything before -5" and "everything after 1" in mathematical terms?

x < -5 & x > 1

Danatron said:
Question 1

x^2 + 4x -5 = 0

Q1
(a)
(x+-1) (x+5)
x= 1 x=-5

(b)
(x+-1)?

(c)
not sure on this one

hmm. In part (a), "solve" does seem confusing in this problem. There are many other ways of solving. Sometimes textbooks want you to graph first. You could also use a rational root test, or something like that. Some books give problems with ##ax^2 + bx + c = N##. The concept of "solving" is to graph this as two functions and find their intersection points. Of course, it seems like a lot more work than necessary.

There is a concern I have with what you wrote in part (a). The expression ##(x + -1)(x+5)## does not mean ##x = 1## or ##x = -5##. You have to state ##(x + -1)(x+5) = 0## to find those solutions for ##x##. I think you KNOW that you are doing this, you just didn't write it. If you did that on a test, a teacher might take points off.

This is also a big idea that connects with part (c). In part (a) you are using the zero property: Zero times a number is zero. In part (c) you are using the following concepts about multiplication of real numbers: "a positive times a positive is a positive"; "a negative times a negative is a positive"; etc. Again these positive & negative multiplication rules are for real numbers, not the imaginary numbers.

Related to Solve Quadratic Equation Q1: x^2+4x-5=0

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It is called a quadratic equation because the highest power of x is 2.

2. How do I solve a quadratic equation?

To solve a quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. You can also factor the equation or use the completing the square method.

3. What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign, which is b^2 - 4ac. It determines the nature of the solutions of the equation - whether they are real, imaginary, or equal.

4. What are the different types of solutions for a quadratic equation?

There are three types of solutions for a quadratic equation: real, imaginary, and equal. Real solutions are when the discriminant is positive and the solutions are real numbers. Imaginary solutions are when the discriminant is negative and the solutions involve the imaginary unit, i. Equal solutions are when the discriminant is zero and the two solutions are the same.

5. How do I check if my solution to a quadratic equation is correct?

You can check if your solution is correct by plugging in the values of x into the original equation. If the equation holds true, then your solution is correct. You can also graph the equation and see if the x-intercepts match your solutions.