Solve Pulley Related Rotational Mechanics Problems: Concept Guidance

In summary, the conversation is about solving pulley related rotational mechanics problems, specifically calculating the tension between two pulleys with given mass, moment of inertia, and radius. The initial concept is to use the equation for the loss in potential energy of the load being equal to the gain in kinetic energy of the pulleys, load, and trolley. The acceleration of the system can also be calculated using the equation v^2 = 2ah. The conversation also includes a specific example problem and a request for guidance in calculating net torque and constraint relations.
physixguru
how to solve pulley related rotational mechanics problems...

please guide me through...

the ques are of the kind...

mass is attached to a pulley which is further attched to larger pulley...

and the moment of inertia of both along wid their radius is given...

mass of the load is given...

asks to calculate tension between the wire joining the two pulleys...

what should be the intial cocept...

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried

loss in PE of load = gain of KE of pulleys, load and trolley ?

Last edited:
Thanks Bro..shall Do It...

Note that the acceleration of the system (out of rest) when the load has dropped through a distance h is given by:

[tex]v^2 = 2ah[/tex]

[tex]a = \frac{v^2}{2h}[/tex]

hey thanks a million times frnz but that guidance is not enough for me to solve these kind of problems..

A string is wrapped around a wheel of moment of inertia=.20 kgm^2 and radius = 10 cm.
It goes through a light pulley of radius 5 cm and M.I=.10 kg m^2, to support a mass of 2kg.
Find the tension in the part of string joining the pulleys and and the acceleration of the block...

REALLY HAVING TROUBLE CALCULATING NET TORQUE AND CONSTRAINT RELATIONS..

PLS GUIDE ME THROUGH FRNZ..

IMAGE ATTACHED..

Last edited:

Related to Solve Pulley Related Rotational Mechanics Problems: Concept Guidance

1. How do pulleys affect rotational mechanics problems?

Pulleys can change the direction and magnitude of the applied force in a rotational mechanics problem, making it easier to solve. They also introduce tension forces that must be accounted for in calculations.

2. How do I identify the type of pulley system in a rotational mechanics problem?

The type of pulley system can be identified by counting the number of strings or ropes supporting the object. A single fixed pulley will have one string, a movable pulley will have two strings, and a compound pulley will have more than two strings.

3. What is the relationship between the number of pulleys and the mechanical advantage?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is equal to the number of ropes or strings supporting the load. Therefore, the more pulleys in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage and the easier it is to lift the load.

4. How do I calculate the tension in the ropes or strings of a pulley system?

To calculate the tension in a rope or string, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, use the equations of motion and the principle of conservation of energy to solve for the tension in each rope or string.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving pulley-related rotational mechanics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include forgetting to account for the weight of the pulleys, not considering the direction of the tension forces, and incorrectly calculating the mechanical advantage. It is also important to keep track of units and use the correct equations for rotational motion.